Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speak English or not?

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

BBC News: How much of a problem is speaking English for some Muslim women?
How much of a problem is speaking English for some Muslim women? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35342342

Now this should really be a debateable subject.

Personally I feel integration will never happen as long as we have devided communities. Most countries speak a little English and I make it a point to learn a little of the language in whichever country I visit. Do people not want to learn English or do they understand without wishing to communicate?

A highly debateable point these days but this is an open community and posted in off topic to get members views on this. I sometimes feel a stranger in my country of origin and it would be interesting to hear or read other viewpoints on this subject. The fact that our fearless leaders are thinking along these lines surely points to an issue we need to seriously consider.

Is there an answer? Very doubtful in the present climate we live in.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23220 Posts
  • 1030 Topics
  • 3694 Solutions

I don't think the topic should be singling out Muslim women. You only have to get on a bus in London to hear a myriad of different languages, none of them being English. Personally, I think that if you decide to live in a foreign country, you should make an effort to learn the native language of that country. Keep your own cultural differences by all means, but be able to communicate. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 4

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

I agree that the topic covers many cultures. Too many to debate I think... as who knows where it  will go?

We hear many complaints about Live Chat and some barriers to language there. I know they are outsourced but still a communication problem for some...

Completely off topic here...but as this is an off topic thread...I will not get any notification of my reply to it...Smiley Frustrated

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 4

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Anyone settling in this country should make a point of learning the language. They should also adhere to the things like, company dress codes and so on. I understand they have their own religion, but if plan to make a life here, they have to make an effort to fit in. That said, there will always be some closed minded people, who only see skin colour.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 4 of 4