cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sneaky things getting through under the brexit wire....

Projectionist
Level 12: Nimble
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

OK, here goes with another controversial thread grimacing

What non-brexit policies/travesties have our glorious members spotted being shoved through under the carpet while everyone's concentrating on the brexit farce ?

I'll start with the latest round of Crown Post Office closures, which no-one is making much of a fuss over, most moving into WHSmiths poop

Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hello @Projectionist 

This is a technique used by Governments for years.  

Crown Post Offices ~ I am trying to remember the last time I saw a Crown Post Office in a normal

day to day situation and it was in the late 1980's

Police Stations ~ the last time I saw a Police Station was about 10 years ago. Don't know where to go for one, honestly.  I live in a large market town. Last year I wished to call in at the place where it normally was (it still has the sign over the building saying Police Station) what I saw was a iron bars and a locked building with a dirty old phone with call this number on which didn't work.  We are now abandoned.

Citizens Advice Bureau ~ gone from our Market Town thought I'd call in to ask where there was a police station!

Council Offices ~ planning etc. ~ relocated 12 miles away.  Even the re-located Council Offices have been closed and further relocated about 30 miles away and covers an enormous County under one roof. 

I only tend to find out when I go and find  a notice and locked doors!

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 2 of 8

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25011 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Not controversial at all @Projectionist but fact!

What I have noticed, and some outside of my area:

Rural Post Offices: closed - residents don`t even have the "benefit" of a local W H Smith`s with service.

Citizen`s Advice Bureau: closed - nearest one is miles away and appointment necessary.

Council Offices - for advice on Council Tax & Housing Benefit: gone.

Hospitals: increased waiting time at A & E beyond government guidelines; parking charges for visitors.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 3 of 8

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35207 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Two-tier nationality: Making all people born in Northern Ireland (NI) "British" by default - they are entitled to be either British, or Irish, or both (dual nationality).  Which they choose to be is up to them, but a Northern Ireland Irish person loses access to certain EU rights and privileges as a result of this particular example of sneakiness, whereas his non-NI-born cousin from the Republic of Ireland retains the rights/privileges. 

Actually a bit closer to Brexit that one, now I think on it. rage

Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting comments / information above

My town's post office is in Sub-Way food outlet 

Message 5 of 8

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Gosh @Anonymous that's novel😊

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 8

Projectionist
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

3rd runway at Heathrow Airport - On 25 June 2018, the House of Commons voted 415-119 in favour )

There is also talk of a Terminal 6 disappointed_relieved

So much for commitment to the environment see_no_evil

Oh, and let's not forget Universal Credit

Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 7 of 8

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25011 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Under the Polish Potatoes Order of 2004, it is illegal to import potatoes from Poland - this is not a joke and I am not making this up - so after Brexit, will they still be banned and will we have to watch where our potatoes come from?

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 8 of 8