Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smartwatch to predict seizures.

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

This smartwatch has been designed primarily for people who suffer with epileptic fits.

The Embrace is the first medical-quality smartwatch that helps predict epileptic seizures, and measure stress, activity and sleep. Designed to improve the lives of people with epilepsy, the sleek-looking device can also be worn purely as a stylish watch.

Although the algorithm has currently only been validated for convulsive seizure detection, research is being conducted into the detection of nonconvulsive seizures. 

In the USA at the moment and due for release in May 2015. It will be interesting to see whether we get this in the UK

http://www.gizmag.com/embrace-smartwatch-epilepsy-seizure-detection/35037/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for sharing.

Sadly in present times it's all about costs.

Fingers crossed this tech evolves and does come to the UK. 😄
Message 2 of 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I don't pretend to understand any of this but any early warning system has got to be a good thing slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22937 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Good article. Very good find @Cleoriff 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I thought it was worth a mention. During my career I have seen some very drastic outcomes of epileptic seizures. Anything that can give fair warning and allow preparation for it can actually be a life saver.

(And ....using a smartwatch no less)....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 12

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Very good tech used for a very good cause.
I am assuming that the screen does not flash when alerting the wearer and also would expect a high refresh rate as standard on the display.
Message 6 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I understand it vibrates @viridis . If a family member is wearing a companion device they will receive a warning also via vibration.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 12

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Good usage feature
Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey @Cleoriff! Really interesting slight_smile
Do you know if there is anything similar for people with diabetes?
Message 9 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

Nothing in terms of smart watch technology for diabetes....but in January 2014 Google started to look at the use of 'smart' contact lenses to predict glucose levels of diabetics. (Instead of the usual pin stick to the finger to monitor this from blood...painful and time consuming)

In July of this year Google found a partner in the Swiss pharmaceutical company Novartis. They are currently looking at production of these smart lenses Excellent news

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/google-extends-smart-lens-tech-for-those-with-diabetes-vision-problems/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 12