cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silly technical Question

Anonymous
Not applicable

I need a replacement battery for Galaxy S4.  Supplied battery rated 3.8v.Some "genuine" replacements advertised on Amazon are rated 4.5v. Would there be any danger of damaging the phone if these are inserted in a S4?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

3.7~3.8V would be the niche figure to go for. Higher mAh wouldn't be much of an issue however highwe voltage would be a no-no for me.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/official-samsung-galaxy-s4-2600mah-standard-battery-p38386.htm

If peace of mind is more important than price.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@anticpated wrote:

3.7~3.8V would be the niche figure to go for. Higher mAh wouldn't be much of an issue however highwe voltage would be a no-no for me.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/official-samsung-galaxy-s4-2600mah-standard-battery-p38386.htm

If peace of mind is more important than price.

Thanks @anticpated  -  that's good enough for me.  I'll stick to the 3.5v. 

Message 3 of 12

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Basically 4.5 x 1 A = 4.5 Watts whereas 3.7 x 1 A = 3.7 Watts. If the power capacity goes over the threshold at a lower power consumption it could cause issues with the battery browning out or possiblly overheating.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2706014/Texas-girl-awakes-Samsung-smartphone-smoldering-pill...

Message 4 of 12

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

@Anonymous No you mean 3.8V? Anyway never skimp on power supplies ever.

Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@anticpated  Yes indeed I meant the 3.8v!   Thanks again.

Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Always go for genuine official parts the same voltage as you already have, higher voltage could burn up
Message 7 of 12

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Just for clarification, brown out is when there is drop in voltage demand whether intentional or unintentional. That itself could cause damage especially in fixed power systems. Of course, I only have a minimal amount of knowledge about this.

Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Always go for genuine official parts the same voltage as you already have, higher voltage could burn up

good advice @Anonymous  - but when it comes to batteries difficult to know.  Amazon sells items described as "Genuine Samsung" and the illustrations show batteries bearing the Samsung logo, but quite a few of the custiner reviews allege that they are not genuine at all. 

Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
True @Anonymous so that's why I suggest going to samsung directly
Message 10 of 12