Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shakespeare

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

William Shakespeare was born and died in April. Here are a few phrases he penned that you probably use every day.

Shakespeare.jpg

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Yes, @Bambino I've used most, if not all, of them at one time or another but didn't realise (or quite possibly had forgotten) they were all down to Shakespeare. Then I must admit it's been some years since I've read any of his work. Initially, like most of us it was part of the school curriculum. But I did like his tragedies and historical works which I read after graduating from high school as well. Couldn't get on with his comedies, though.

Thanks for sharing how much we owe to him, not only his well known classics but so many of our well-worn phrases the origin of which has/had been forgotten by many but are still used today.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 2 of 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122373 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I had no idea he penned half of those phrases. Just shows me how little I do know

So that's the 'naked truth' and makes me a bit of a 'laughing stock'.

Never mind, I will wait with 'baited breath' to see if I 'vanish into thin air' wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 5

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I had the misfortune to have to study Shakespeare and also appear in school plays. I did a very good 'Bottom' apparently......Bow

I could never ever take to Shakespeare and hated it with a passion, still do. I was born in Radcliffe....we just didn't do Shakespeare!! Grumpy

Message 4 of 5

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Bambino Thanks for sharing these, such an impressive list of phrases we owe to his writing!

I love reading his plays, it was brilliant to study in depth at University but I would probably feel very differently about them if I had been asked to get on stage as well @jonsie. The way classics like Shakespeare's plays are introduced to children can very easily define whether they'll hate or love them thinking

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 5 of 5