cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post lockdown purchasing?

Anonymous
Not applicable

So now that non essential shops can open..

What shops have you missed? And...
What shops do you need to visit?

I haven’t missed any shops really.. in fact lockdown has saved me from making unnecessary purchases..

But I do need to go is PC World.. my Sennheiser cans packed up & I need them replacing..

I’m wondering if it will be a mass exodus as people run roughshod & totally disregard the happenings of the last few months.

Will you be out today? Or will you wait a few days for the stampede to cease?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

We have needed shops (other than grocery stores) since lockdown.

As I ALWAYS shop online this wasn't an issue.

Asda deliver my groceries once a week.

Amazon deliver most things the following day

Our JVC TV, without warning, stopped showing a picture although all sound was fine. (we have since found out this a common problem with JVC... so beware)

Ordered a Sony TV from Argos, picked it up next day from Sainsburys collection point and hubby rigged it up, away we went.

We needed a smaller TV for one of the bedrooms. Ordered this from Currys. Collected it, no issue.

Gardening plants. Found a local guy who delivered at no extra cost. Superb service. I will use him again.

So in answer to the question asked, I have absolutely no desire to join anyone in any shop. Thanks but no thanks..

For the last 15 years my motto has been, if it can't be bought online, it doesn't get bought. Simples rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

I shall be interested to see the main street in Skipton. It's a market day and it is rumoured that the street is to be blocked off top and bottom with the market stalls facing the road. I like to browse the market.

Skipton has long lagged behind other towns and cities

The main street is regularly pedestrianised for hight days, holidays and festivals. The street I live on is a 'Rat Run', an inner ring road could be made. Highways department of the district council are just dragging their feet

Rant Over 

Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I’ve avoided it today.. nothing i need is urgent so I think I’ll wait..

Having seen the scrums at shops on tv, I’m glad I have. Quite why Primark is in such huge demand is beyond me!
Message 4 of 13

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12147 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1129 Solutions
Someone I know has mentioned the size of the queue at their local Primark.
While I do shop there occasionally I would be going nowhere near it for a few days at least!
Guessing people have nothing else to do with their day at the moment...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

Apparently they were queuing overnight at ours @gmarkj. Luckily it's in Coventry so let them get on with it. Ridiculous!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 13

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25227 Posts
  • 818 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Online shopping - Meme by ahadsy5 :) Memedroid

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 7 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

How very dare you @Mi-Amigo  rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 13

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

We had a bit of a laugh at the news reports of the massive queues and watching the idiotic reporter blocking everyone  as they were trying to get past in the social distancing avoidance maneouvre we've all adapted to. Really don't get this Primark thing in the best of times let alone queuing for entry today.

But to be honest, we do most purchases online these days for a rather good reason: we live in an area where shops have been closing for years and all that is left is charity shops and the out-of-town upmarket poundlands* & supermarkets so not missed any shops at all.  There is literally one single big name retail brand left in the high street and I suspect that's only being kept alive for the pharmacy. Nearest big town is about 20 miles away and thats in the same state of closing over the years and it doesn't get any better along the North Wales coast either. You literally just go out somewhere just to go out somewhere different. 

*Ok I confess, I like those shops because you never get the joy and wonder of finding something at a couple of pounds you'd never bother to search for online or on ebay. 

Message 9 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

The thing is with Primark @sheepdog they don't run an online shopping service. This is why the clothes are as 'cheap as chips' (apparently)

I suspect this is the reason people were camping out, similar to those fools who pitch tents awaiting the release of the new iPhone!!

We haven't got a Primark in our town but Coventry, 8 miles away has a massive 4 storey building. Back in the day when I lived in Cov, the store was Owen and Owen.

I have visited this Primark, under duress, with my son's partner. Pretty much the worst experience of my life!

I think if you shop there on a regular basis you know exactly where to go, how to get round quickly and which elbows to use to get people out of the way.

I was like  deer in the headlights. Couldn't wait to get out and needed 2 cups of tea at a local cafe to get over the shock.

Never again.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 13