http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25201195
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Now why do I think of Russia and associate it with Lada and Moskovich cars. Hope the phones are of better build quality.
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

very interesting 

Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't think of a single use for this. A phone screen is too small to read a book from, I've tried using the kindle app on my Z10 and its manageable but far too small.

For £69 I'd rather just buy a kindle.

Other than reading books, what would be the purpose of this type of screen on the back of a phone? Websites aren't going to operate correctly on an e-ink screen...

Message 4 of 10

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Other than reading books, what would be the purpose of this type of screen on the back of a phone? Websites aren't going to operate correctly on an e-ink screen...

The point of e-ink is that it uses zero power except when it's changing and then very little, so notifications and messages could be read without having to power up that power hungry LCD or Amoled screen. wink

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

But if you get a notification you're going to have to turn your phone over to respond to it anyway.

Or worse, your battery doesnt have enough power to actually boot the phone but the e-ink screen lets you know you have a notification...

Unless that screen has a keyboard or is touchscreen is there any point to being able to receive the notifications or messages since you can't respond or even call the person?

Message 6 of 10

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

But if you get an urgent notification you would at least know about it and could respond through other channels.

Basically similar to getting a pager message.

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aldaweb wrote:

Basically similar to getting a pager message.

So...its been designed to replace a pretty much defunct piece of technology? Other than at my work I can't remember the last time I saw anyone carrying a pager.

Message 8 of 10

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

I doubt that's it's primary design paradigm, but I still carry a pager at work as do several employees in places I visit so not quite defunct yet. 

Message 9 of 10

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
I wonder what the quality of the second screen would be like? Do you reckon it could be good enough for photos for example? I doubt it but it could be an interesting direction to go. When they say 'snap shot' it makes you think about it.

It's a bit out there, but I can see this being popular with some people. It feels a bit retro and that may be an attraction.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 10 of 10