Pets during the festive period

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

AdventCalendar.png

Hey guys,

How many of you have pets at home? slight_smile With Christmas approaching it's important to think about our pets too. Not just for what you're going to get them as presents gift but to also make sure that they are comfortable and safe during the festive season which can get a bit hectic at times. hugging

Treats:

Will you be giving your pets some delicious treats over Christmas? My cats will (shhh don't tell them yet!) get a little bit of boiled egg which is their ultimate favourite. grin

Many festive foods are unfortunately toxic to pets though - you can check out an RSPCA article about what is safe and what is not safe for cats and dogs on Christmas here.

Decorations:

Is your pet interested in the decorations you put up for Christmas? grin My cat back in the day always jumped into the tree and made it fall down until we realised to secure it by tying it with a piece of string to the curtain rail. She still jumped in the tree though, but at least it didn't fall down. All the tree hangings had to be safe (i.e. no chocolate or glass ornaments). Are you putting up any decorations just for your pets to enjoy and play with? grin

Atmosphere:

It can be stressful to pets when loads of people might visit over a few days, routines change, and loud music might be on. RSPCA also has some tips on keeping pets feeling calm during Christmas, see here. slight_smile

Presents:

Most of us are probably giving something to our loved ones for Christmas, be it a greeting card or even a present. Do you normally give anything to your pets too, apart from possible treats? I normally wrap a bunch of toy mice for my cats into a little parcel for them, although I often end up unwrapping it myself as they don't understand what it is. joy For my previous cat my parents used to wrap a few pieces of shrimp in tin foil and place it under the Christmas tree.

Cat and presents

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am pet free, so no worries here.. but I'm intrigued by cats loving eggs tho!
Message 2 of 15

smh1982
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Not tried my cat with eggs, however he does like:-

cheese

potted beef

milk left over from having cornflakes for breakfast

Anyone else with cats/pets who like strange things they shouldn't really have? 

Message 3 of 15

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Yep. One of the kittens likes:
Cheese.
Strawberry angel delight.
Non alcohol rose.
Custard.
Ice cream.
So not really!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 15

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Both of my cats like ...

Cheese (prefer it toasted)

Ham

Custard

Ice-cream

Wafer thin chicken

Chicken SKIN

Eggs (fried, poached or boiled)

Sausages

Paper (just Lily, thank God):joy: She waits by the printer and it's a race as to who gets there first)

Routinely they have normal cat food and water.

As for presents at Christmas. Nothing special, occasionally a toy with catnip in.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 15

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

HI @Marjo

Love animals ~ did have pets but look after the Garden Birds every day and the little Fox at night

she has a sandwich jam sometimes, peanut butter, honey or jam and peanut butter!

cut into small pieces for her ~ she goes round every day. 

Bird Feeders front and back ~ love to watch them Fantastic

Love it when they come in and are hanging off the feeders.  laughing

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 15

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

We don't currently have a pet (my wife is desparate for a Dashchund).  But we have lots of birds who come into the garden.  We have a robin who turns up every morning just outside our patio doors, tweeting away askign for food. Get's all excited when we come out with food then.

Robin.jpg

Thanks

Steve
Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TallTrees wrote:

HI @Marjo

Love animals ~ did have pets but look after the Garden Birds every day and the little Fox at night

she has a sandwich jam sometimes, peanut butter, honey or jam and peanut butter!

cut into small pieces for her ~ she goes round every day. 

Bird Feeders front and back ~ love to watch them Fantastic

Love it when they come in and are hanging off the feeders.  laughing

That all sounds truly lovely @TallTrees

Any chance of a pic or two of what sounds like a lovely garden you have fox bird rose

Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@welshsteve76 wrote:

We don't currently have a pet (my wife is desparate for a Dashchund).  But we have lots of birds who come into the garden.  We have a robin who turns up every morning just outside our patio doors, tweeting away askign for food. Get's all excited when we come out with food then.

Robin.jpg

What a lovely post @welshsteve76 thank you for sharing that with us smiling

Message 9 of 15

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Hi @Anonymous
Will get a photo soonest, they were here this morning and the Robin like @welshsteve76 The Long Tail ****** were hanging upside down they don't stay still for long though 🦉🕊🐦🐥🌼🙋

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 10 of 15