cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News: Amazon Fire Phone Flops

Anonymous
Not applicable
Amazon had an earnings call today where it was announced that they were essentially writing off $170 million after over estimating how successful the Fire phone would be.

With reportedly only 35,000 units sold in the US after 4 months and with $83million worth of devices still in stock, it's fair to say that the Amazon Fire has been a flop!

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmorris/2014/10/24/amazon-fire-phone-a-review-of-the-device-that-just-...
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Amen to that! Included in those losses I would expect big payments and incentives to networks (such as O2Smiley Frustrated) and retail outlets as sweeteners to stock these phones which were laughingly pitched along similar upfront costs afforded to the Galaxy S5 and iphones.

It really is a case of sticking to what you're good at, Amazon didn't and have suffered the dire consequences. In the case of O2 I suspect part of their budget went to stocking this lemon at the expense of big brand names such as Blackberry, to name but one.

Message 2 of 26

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I think it all got overshadowed by iPhone 6 and Samsung Galaxy Note 4. After all, nobody really wants a kindle in a smaller display with calling abilities. When you already have good options out there for a reasonable cost.

TBH I never ever seen any marketting for this; no reviews, unboxings or blogger opinions. It's no surprise it's been overlooked and forgotten about.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 3 of 26

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
To be fair 99% of people who ordered the iPhone got the marketing for this by mistake.
I had a second look at one today in a store, still meh. Nothing stood out and can only be described as basically simple.
The prices, as stated, we're not something that in a normal situation i would attach to this phone.
Message 4 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I thought this might be the case. I use Amazon a great deal and every time I went on the site over the last few months. this phone figured on the home page constantly...even flicking around and the phone was there....

Then suddenly it was gone....replaced by adverts from Amazon Prime Instant video....

A massive fail then.

Probably should stick to selling books?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was hoping we'd see an end user come here and create a user review.

The ones I've seen on the Net don't portray it as a completely rubbish device.
Message 6 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thinking about it and on the flip side of  the coin, I would have expected it to have taken a bit longer for Amazon to write it off as a flop?

I admit I wouldnt have bought one.... BUT that was probably more due to the fact that phone experts on here didn't appear to like it ....

Had I not seen negative reviews, I may have been interested....as I am no expert.....:smileywink:

So, for others like me with limited technical phone knowledge..... it may have seemed a real good buy.....and only shown its true colours after it had been purchased?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 26

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Maybe they need to add it to the tech trial for people to review. I had a decent play around with one in CPw and was less than impressed. Extended use may help to give an imformed opinion but as things stand it wouldn't hold a candle to the dedicated brand names.

Message 8 of 26

MI5
  • 143419 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:
In the case ofO2 I suspect part of their budget went to stocking this lemon at the expense of big brand names such as Blackberry, to name but one.

Whoever made these decisions needs their employment potential re-assessing wink

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 26

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

As I said elsewhere, Amazon were obviously willing to pay more than Blackberry.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 10 of 26