Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New technology - a Braille Kindle

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23241 Posts
  • 1031 Topics
  • 3696 Solutions

This would be wonderful if it develops into reality.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3399018/Braille-Kindle-developed-blind-Tactile-tablet...

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Sounds like a great idea!

I guess sometimes people forget that, with all of this technology this has been created and can be enjoyed by many people, it creates a further gap between some people, in particular those with hearing and visual problems.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't believe anything that the Daily Mail write. I'll believe it when it is in the Amazon store or Apple store. slight_smile

Message 2 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 123461 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

A wonderful idea @Bambino fully supported by Michigan University which is well known for innovative ideas and concepts from it's Research Facility. Braille readers do exist but they are out of reach of most people due to the phenomenal cost involved. This one looks good because they are using air to create the braille 'bubbles' providing a fully functioning tactile reader.... Long overdue..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 22

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23241 Posts
  • 1031 Topics
  • 3696 Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123461 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/a-kindle-for-the-blind-u-s-engineers-working-on-a-braille-tab...

https://www.si.umich.edu/node/13620

Very pleased to see it is getting acknowledgement from the University itself and Digital Trends... I will be interested to see the price when it goes out on a very select market.:smileyhappy:

Edited to add...They are calling it the Holy Braille. Brilliant ....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 22

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

viridis
  • 13534 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@gemz4the1 wrote:

Unfortunately, I wouldn't believe anything that the Daily Mail write. I'll believe it when it is in the Amazon store or Apple store. slight_smile

I really hope you meant that sarcastically, I mean if you only believe things in the Apple store then you are very much unqualified to comment on innovation in the handicapped marketplace for innovative products. The word propaganda springs to mind as an instant thought. 

Anyhoo, I can 100% tell you the item is very much real and much further along in development than the articles suggest, and the tablet is not alone, there is also smart watches available using the same tech. One company "Dot" ( http://fingerson.strikingly.com ) not only has a smartwatch near retail stage but is also developing a pad using the same braile bubble technology.

These items and the development of products for people with impairments are very much real and imo vital for giving people access to the kind of tech we take for granted daily.

If you're gonna comment on medical innovation in the portable tech field, please come out of your little Apple bubble for a while, the grass is definitely greener outside of Cupertino's propaganda machine, but I'm sure you'll read all about it in 3 years when someone else's development is hijacked by Apple and relabelled as their own innovation.

Message 7 of 22

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Well said @MI5

Anyway, I wonder what apple would call this "new" technology. iNipple? slight_smile
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 8 of 22

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 123461 Posts
  • 827 Topics
  • 7477 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

@Curr946 wrote:
Well said @MI5

Don't know

Think the name @viridis must have been misread? @MI5 is not even online yet....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 22