Did you mean:ย 

New Trick Could Help Bees Pollinating ๐ŸŒผ๐Ÿ

LukasB
Former Staff
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

macro-photo-of-bumblebees-on-yellow-sunflower-772571.jpgHey guys,

ever since we are  celebrating World Bee Day on the community I have been really concerned with those little brown pilots. As bees are having a hard time due to pollution and pesticides, scientist have been researching to find a solution to the problem of pollination.

It turns out that soap bubbles โ€” like the ones you make with a kidโ€™s toy โ€” can carry pollen as they float around. After mounting bubble makers onto the bottom of drones, scientists successfully pollinated a pear orchard, suggesting a possible way to grow crops should we fail to restore bee populations.

Previously scientists attempted to automate pollination by replacing bees that would fly from plant to plant like their biological counterparts.

But the Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology found that soap bubbles were far gentler on the plants. Not to mention the struggle of actually building tiny bee robots.

But nevertheless, actual bees are far more effective at pollinating plants and sustaining agriculture than bubble-launching drones. It is our job to make changes so that the bee population can recover. What you can do to help the bees? It is all in this post.

Let me know below what you think about the bubble pollination. Have you implemented some of the bee helping strategies? Are you going to blow bubbles into fields? I know our resident bee expert @TallTrees might have something to say.

โ†’ COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
โ†’ Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
โ†’ Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
โ†’ Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @LukasB 

mmm not sure that this is altogether a good idea.

As said, the idea of bubble pollination is a secondary, possible, solution. But does not address the issue of why bees are experiencing difficulties with pollination.

Further to this, has anyone considered whether the idea of the public blowing soap bubbles into the atmosphere is safe?

What if someone who, unknowingly has Covid-19, blows a soap bubble. Spit and air from infected lungs fills the soap bubble. Kids, being kids, burst the soap bubble over people outdoors who could become infected...   

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 2 of 13

LukasB
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

I agree it is not ideal and not solving the problem why the bees are in trouble @Mi-Amigo 

โ†’ Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
โ†’ Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 3 of 13

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Interesting to see what @TallTrees thinks about this....

I'm not certain. I can't claim an aversion to interfering with nature, as much of the worlds wildlife would now be extinct if we hadn't stepped in.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 13

O2Karl
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 285 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 24 Solutions

Defintely have to look after our bee's, really intresting article LukasB.

signature
Message 5 of 13

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin'ย 
  • 10673 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Hi @LukasB
I am not impressed at all LukasB.
@Cleoriff Your thought of helping to keep or maintain a species of wildlife is different, I think, this is doing something for a species survival.

Bees are very willing to pollinate as this is what they do.
Improving areas for them would help all wildlife and our lives.
The bees I breed can be transported to farms to pollinate the peaches apples, etc. They will carry on and breed new bees whilst pollinating crops. They are very happy. Any farmer could keep mason bees on the farm and in addition could provide facilities for bumble bees etc.
This is a serious issue it can be helped by land owners, farmers, national trust parks and council parks councils have been putting in wild flower verges and everyone can do something to help. 30 million homes in Britain surely we can all put even a pot of lavender.
Stop talking and start doing no need for scientific jokes better using their brains in more effective ways.
Good to keep this issue in front of mind thanks for your update on our friends the wonderful Bee, LukasB

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 13

LukasB
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@O2Karl thank you kissing_heart

@TallTrees I got 2 lavender plants on my balcony now and got a little bee pool which is also used by all birds in the neighborhood joy

signature

Message 7 of 13

TallTrees
  • 10673 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Beeutiful it must all bee @LukasB

Postscript....a photo for us to see this haven๐Ÿ˜ฒ

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 8 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

No, I think it's similar @TallTrees 

I was actually talking about a species survival.

For instance, the Giant panda would be extinct, if not for the work China has done in the laboratories.

As would Northern White Rhino if not for round the clock work in conservation sanctuaries,  artificial insemination and the creation of Rhino embryos. 

So definitely a game of survival.

Most of the large zoos in the world have a dedicated conservation programme.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 13

TallTrees
  • 10673 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

I agree with you @Cleoriff
Conservation programs are essential. Kew gardens are keepers of the world's store of seeds.
We can take more care of our bees I am quite certain.
I heard a lovely story about Diego the Galapagos Tortoise he has saved the species!
Along with 3 million scientists no doubt๐Ÿ™ƒ
Interestingly quite a few neighbours here have started honey bee colonies, they join a group with a knowledgeable mentor. Small colonies will be the way to go. The colonies are less stressed to produce honey as they would be in a commercial situation. This is the case with any intensive farming.
Intensive fish farming is disastrous for healthy fish.
It all needs more consideration and sensible thinking.
Remember the honey bees at Notre Dame?
Small colonies looked after by caring people.
The way forward.

Edited to say..... thought this really funny

Diego is about 100years of age and is off to retire for about 50 years.......Hecky thump๐Ÿคฃ

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 10 of 13