Did you mean: 

Nano craft to be the first interstellar spaceship

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys, 

Stephen Hawking and Russian billionaire Yuri Milner have teamed up to research a planned 20 year voyage to our nearest stellar neighbour the Alpha Centauri star system. $100 million will be invested to test the knowhow and technologies necessary to send a featherweight robot spacecraft across the 4.73 light year distance to Alpha Centauri.

To reduce the massive costs associated with space travel they intend to use a “nanocraft”, a tiny chip containing a camera, radio transmitter and all the other necessary sensors required for the journey. This would only weigh a few grams and would be accelerated up to on fifth the speed of light using a battery of lasers to push on a small solar sail attached to the nanocraft. 

What do you guys think of this? A massive waste of money or a worthwhile investment in the future? 

Full story

space 2.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

I'm all for it myself though I won't be around for the journey end. Mankind will always look to explore space looking for possible signs of life on other world's.  Who knows, one day we may need to colonise another planet....

Message 2 of 18

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23061 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

If our species survives (and that's debatable), we're going to use up all our natural resources sooner or later, so we may as well start looking to see if there's somewhere else we can go. How we actually get there is another matter.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 18

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

If our species survives (and that's debatable), we're going to use up all our natural resources sooner or later, so we may as well start looking to see if there's somewhere else we can go. How we actually get there is another matter.

There's a bloke in Syria that may be able to help.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 4 of 18

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

There's a bloke in Syria that may be able to help.

I have his number.....

Message 5 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Not sure I have any major feelings for it at all if honest. I just hope the 'chip' gets it right. A hell of a lot of money to lose if not...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 18

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

If this was a manned flight and they were looking for volunteers I would be composing a letter as we speak!

Message 7 of 18

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Bambino Agreed if the population continues to increase at the current rate were going to need to expand sooner rather then later although I think it will be closer to home then Alpha Centauri. Something like the space station from the movie Elysium or a moon base.

@Cleoriff Your right it's a hell of a lot of money but hopefully even if the mission is not successful the technologies developed will have other applications. 

@jonsie Did you consider signing up for the Mars One program? 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 8 of 18

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

No I didn't @Martin-O2 as I'm guessing would have been a mitigating factor.

I'm waiting until they ship all us old folk to a massive lunar residential care home....LOL

Message 9 of 18

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

No I didn't @Martin-O2 as I'm guessing would have been a mitigating factor.

I'm waiting until they ship all us old folk to a massive lunar residential care home....LOL

Not a bad idea as the low gravity would help with mobility! Smiley Very Happy Plus the views would be amazing. 

signature

Message 10 of 18