Did you mean: 

NASA's planet hunting TESS satellite successfully launched today

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

Today is a great day for astronomy fans as the Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) was launched to begin is planet finding mission! TESS is a follow up to the Kepler mission and will use the same 'transit method' to search for planets around other stars. 

The transit method measures the tiny dip in light that a planet causes as it passes between the earth and the star. Kepler discovered over 2000 planets during its mission and TESS hopes to find even more during its initial 2 year survey. TESS will scan 85% of the sky and will identify target planets for follow up space based telescopes to study in more detail. 

I'll be closely following the results of the TESS mission! How about you guys? Does this kind of thing interest you? 

Further reading

180327163105-002-nasa-tess-artist-concept-exlarge-169.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apologies @Martin-O2 but although I'm not really a Python fan, I immediately thought of this when I read this post

On a serious note, it'll be interesting if they do find something but I'm in two minds as to whether finding intelligent life is good or not.

Message 2 of 20

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Yes, @Martin-O2 I'll be interested to see what they find.

And I've always been of the opinion that we can't possibly be the only intelligent life in the universe. I'm just waiting for the day I'm proved right. Though it mayn't happen in my lifetime, unfortunately 😕
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 3 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous luv the Monty Python vid ... it was great when at senior school the major topic of conversation was their show the night before with the lads acting out the sketches ... LOL

@Martin-O2 I remember the 'space race' between the Russians & the Americans ... & ... the 1st landing on the moon ... I've been interested in astronomy, in a general way, ever since star

I shall follow TESS's discoveries as & when

@Glory1 I'm not sure whether I believe in extra-terrestrial life or not ... but ... yes, let's explore as much as we can

Message 4 of 20

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Glory1 I'm not sure whether I believe in extra-terrestrial life or not ... but ... yes, let's explore as much as we can

You may well be right @Anonymous. But I always thought it human arrogance to assume that we are the only intellgent life forms in the universe as it's based on our perception of 'human' intelligence. Extraterrestrials, if they exist, may judge intelligence in a totally different way and view us as less intelligent than we view ourselves. Anyway, as I say, if any extraterrestrials are found to exist, it's unlikely to be in my lifetime, more's the pity.

Message 5 of 20

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

There is definitely intelligent life elsewhere in the vast expanse of space though some would say they have already been here and may yet be still amongst us. As someone who is constanty looking skywards at night, I have yet to see anything apart from stars but those are the ones you get from not looking where you are going. Strangely enough I'm seeing them more these days....but I digress!

We visited Roswell and area 51 a few years back and I'm into the whole conspiracy thing. There are so many unexplained or actually inexplicable things in this world let alone out there in other galaxies. ISome light reading....

https://www.express.co.uk/latest/area-51 

Message 6 of 20

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I'm with you @jonsie. Never been to Roswell but have read up on everything on the subject I could get my hands on pro and con. And thanks for the light (!) reading.

As I've said above it's sheer arrogance to assume humans are the most intelligent life form in the universe. Space is vast and we have no idea what or who is out there, as we have no idea how many planets we have yet to discover. And are discovering more all the time.

I don't know that they'll be little green men or even 'men' as we define it but that intelligent life exists somewhere in space I've no doubt.

Message 7 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 123398 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

Those 'little green men' could actually be here, posting on ths forum @Glory1 and @jonsie alien alienalien

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 20

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Considering some of the postings I've seen recently @Cleoriff you could well be right. It would certainly explain a lot 😂🤣

Message 9 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 123398 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:
Considering some of the postings I've seen recently @Cleoriff you could well be right. It would certainly explain a lot 😂🤣

And there you have it @Glory1.

I could even be an alien myself. I could've come from the planet Etiquetteiskey. It's a new one...just for exclusively selected aliens LOL

Oh it's good to laugh. The planet Sun has gone to my head....sun

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 20