Did you mean: 

Movies in May 2021

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

Welcome to the May movie discussion thread! With the lockdown looking to fully end next month we could all be back in the cinema before we know it. cool As we're still restricted to streaming services and DVD collections for the time being I've suggested a few movies to watch below that can be found on the major streaming services. Before we move on did anyone see one of the films discussed in last months topic

First up for this months streaming recommendations is The Game. Staring Michael Douglas as a wealthy banker who agrees to take part in a game to celebrate his birthday. Things start to get strange and he finds it harder and harder to tell the difference between real life and the game. This movie is a fantastic thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat until the very end. 

Screenshot 2021-05-12 at 16.07.03.png

The Devil All the Time came out last year and is available on Netflix. It's set in the 1960's post war America and features a mix of strange and unusual characters. I've not seen this yet so if you have let me know if it's worth a look! 

Galaxy Quest is an absolute classic sci fi comedy! The story follows a group of actors from a Star Trek like TV show who are abducted by aliens who thought the show was real life. Great cast, great story and loads of laughs, you cant go wrong giving this film a go. 

Set in Medieval Britain, The King is about a reluctant heir to the throne who is thrust into the role of King when his farther dies. 

Another classic that's well worth a watch if you haven't seen it is Starship Troopers. Directed by Paul Verhoeven, this violent satirical film that critique's militarism and fascism is great fun for sci fans and covers deeper themes then you would expect at first. 

Just a few recommendations from me this month. Let us know what you've been watching in the comments below

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Remember watching The Game - really enjoyed it at the time so might try and catch that again.
Galaxy Quest was a little too much for me.
Starship Troopers is another good one. Never watched the sequels though...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Martin-O2 The Game is a very good film, also with Sean Penn and directed by David Fincher, Fincher has directed some very original films: Seven, Fight Club, Gone Girl, to name just a few. I haven't seen the Game for ages though, will try and catch it again.

The devil all The Time looks like my sort of film (Reading a quick tiny bit of a review) I will definitely watch. Also will try and catch King too.

I watched The Road (2009)  last week, based on the book by the same name by Cormac McCarthy and very much enjoyed it. Also: Children Of Men (2006) is a dystopian film based on the book by P.D. James, 2027 and it's the last days of humankind, no child has been born for 18 years... Brilliant but poignant story.

Also Martin: Is that pic of your own TV? If so, if you ever get a problem with the vertical hold just bang it on the top - works every time rofl

Message 3 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I'll give The Game a watch. Sounds good.

I watched Artemis Fowl last night. Despite Judy Dench being in it, I thought it was pretty poor.

As I understand it, Artemis Fowl is a series of books, so I didn't think it translated well into film. .

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 8

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Artemis Fowl was defintely a film of what were the directors thinking and did they just glance at the book thinking it could be a rehash of Harry Potter?  Fowl by name foul by nature....was thinking I haven't seen The Game for a good 20 years but not a bad film though I'll always make time for Falling Down which is Micheal Douglas's best films.

Absolutely love Starship Troopers and most people miss the not-so-subtle anti-war premise and propaganda subtext. As for the sequels, lets just say Amazon Prime recommends it to me but then again, I love sci-fi b-movies. Must checkout Galaxy Quest again and contrast against Star Trek Discovery rofl

Saw Love and Monsters the other day (Netflix). Quite enjoyable and not what I was expecting from an monster apocolypse movie and geared towards a family viewing.

By my reckoning, I think we're slightly overdue on the monthly movie theme night? 

Message 5 of 8

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Don't bother with the Starship Troopers sequels @gmarkj. They are really awful and don't live up to the original in any way. 

@Anonymous I really enjoyed both The Road and Children Of Men despite the very dark tone of both films. I've read the book version of The Road but not Children Of Men. Haha not my TV thankfully, I just looked for an image of an old busted TV. sweat_smile

Book to film can often not go well @Cleoriff. Too much material to cram into a 2 hour slot. It's good that a lot of TV shows are now movie quality as I feel the longer format is much better for book adaptations. 

People definitely miss the underlying themes of Starship Troopers @sheepdog. Makes the film so much better when you do get it.

I've just added Love and Monsters to my list! I'll check it out and let you know what I. think. 

As for the movie night watch this space early next week. wink

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 6 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I agree about books not translating well to film @Martin-O2 .

My favourite author for years was Stephen King. A lot of his books have been made into films. With the exception of The Shining and IT, none of his books have translated well (In my opinion)

One of his books called Cujo, a story about a rabid dog, was made into a film. It didn't frighten me at all. The book itself gave me many sleepless nights. Fear

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 8

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Cleoriff yes some do manage to pull it off like the Stephen King books you mentioned but the majority seem to be trying to fit too much in a short time frame. The same thing has happened with pretty much every video game made into a movie. 

signature

Message 8 of 8