Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile or Landline?

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I recently read on the BBC Technology page that in the USA more people use their mobiles than landlines. Apparently many households don't even have a landline and rely solely on their mobiles.

This particularly interested me as I don't have a landline and exclusively use my mobile . My reason is that I make so few phone calls that I cannot justify paying additiinal line rental for a service I rarely use. I can browse the net, do on-line shopping, send emails and messages (the latter through Whatsapp not SMS),play games and do a search on any subject even how to spell a word on my mobile. And, of course, make the odd phone call.

So all if this made me wonder what's the situation here in the UK? I assume all of you have a landline as well as your mobile. So my question is which do you use most: your landline or your mobile? And what do you use your mobile for?
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2209 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

That's a trend in Germany too. Maaaany people just use their mobiles. But it's hard to get a tariff without it (broadband, glasfibre), the just don't use it. Most tariffs it's VoIP included.

I like to talk on landline if I'm home. I like that the landline handset is a bit ...more and you "have something in your hand" (hardly to explain that feeling). But I have to add it's only a good quality if the handset is quality too (using Gigasets for MANY MANY years).

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 2 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a landline but never use it & always use my iPhone
Message 3 of 32

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
I raised this as a discussion point just after O2's 4G started to be implemented.

But could the 4G infrastructure cope if consumers changed ?........just remember the old BT 8meg ADSL....it groaned under the strain.
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 4 of 32

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Thank you @ComaChameleon and my apologies. I should have said Europe to include members of the Community outside the UK. Very interesting to hear Germany appears to be going the way of the US.

I'm curious @Anonymous why you always use your mobile rather than your landline. Many of my friends are like you and say they have a landline purely to get a broadband package for their PCs/laptops.

Obviously I need broadband and have mobile broadband so that I can download games and books, and stream films/TV shows. And software updates on my phone also need a Wifi connection.

Message 5 of 32

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Very good point @Beenherebefore. And 4G is still to be fully rolled out in the UK

And I have also noticed I often don't have 4G coverage and I live in central London where you would have thought there'd be no problem - wrong!

Could the 4G infrastructure cope if consumers changed - I'd say no.

Message 6 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

mobile ... have a landline connection for broadband, no handset ... have been like this for a few years now 

Message 7 of 32

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Yep @Anonymous my friends are exactly the same. I keep meaning to have a landline put in purely for broadband but I admit I'm lazy and also, for the moment, mobile broadband (20gb) suits my needs.

Message 8 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Glory1 I have a phone/tv/broadband package so landline is only used in emergencies basically 

Message 9 of 32

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Of course, makes sense @Anonymous and I never thought of that. Virgin, I know, offer a phone/TV/broadband/mobile package and I imagine Sky will get in on the act as they've started advertising Sky mobile. Great idea.

Message 10 of 32