Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft and Sony retreat

Daddydoink
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 450 Posts
  • 41 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I found this article of interest this morning....

http://telecoms.com/463782/microsoft-and-sony-continue-their-retreat-from-smartphones/

Windows 10|SurfaceBook2-512|Lego|Wheelchair Reviews
Sony Xperia ZX Premium (because I loved the Try The Tech phone so much)
Sony Xperia XZ
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Hmm. I hope the windows phone doesnt die.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 2 of 10

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

Microsoft will struggle as they pretty much alienated themselves from other oems recently after the Nokia buyout.
Sony are doing exactly what they said they would, decreasing models to a few lines and making them higher spec. Using the revenue saved to increase finance into its component market to offer better camera sensors to oem's 
Trust me, Sony love the top ten selling mobiles list.

Message 3 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

As good as they are, Microsoft don't actually need to be associated with mobile phones. All their products sync across other platforms easily enough with the wealth of apps out there.

Message 4 of 10

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
True that, the office cloud structure is very reliable and flawless.
Message 5 of 10

Daddydoink
  • 450 Posts
  • 41 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I think the problem is that Microsoft want to be Apple and Apple want to be Microsoft.  It has always been the same, akin to Sega versus Nintendo.  Do I think W10M will be the final knoll?  I'm not so sure... I'm expecting that fairly soon the OS will become cloud based and the phone - you buy one, enter your log in and then it downloads to your device and maintains the sync.

You read it here first(ish), kids...

Sony Xperia XZ
Message 7 of 10

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Apple haven't wanted to be Microsoft for nearly 10 years.
But they are connected.
Just as it SHOULD have been Sony that released a user friendly mp3 player, it also SHOULD have been Microsoft that released a smooth, easy to use portable computer phone.
In both cases it wasn't, and these giants of their industries basically failed to innovate correctly.
Now they are both small fry in their own markets.
Message 8 of 10

Daddydoink
  • 450 Posts
  • 41 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Apple haven't wanted to be Microsoft for nearly 10 years.
But they are connected.

Not strictly true - Apple have always wanted to be Microsoft in terms of holding the OS and the Device.  Its market control.  Look at Apple Maps, Apple TV, iTunes, iCloud, iMessenger etc - everything revolves around the Apple OS.  The symbiosis of Apple to Microsoft is there, just a different focus.  Microsoft has focused on the OS (Windows), Office Apps, mainstream servers and architecture - a market that Apple have wanted a chunk of for years and have got in the form of creative industries (video, tv, imaging and design).  Microsoft likewise want a chunk of the consumer market as much of the business element - the home user beyond the Office, so tablets, email, VOIP, IM, etc. Common ground is the phone (iPhone/Lumia/Surface?!), tablet (iPad/Surface) and high end (Surface Pro/Macbook) mobile/desk computing.  

I agree, Microsoft and Sony should have both been leaders.  So, here is thinking outside the box - should they play catch up or should they play leapfrog?  How should they leapfrog?

Sony Xperia XZ
Message 9 of 10

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Well the mobile Os games is finished. It's ios and android but I just always thought Ms would become a strong third. But with the Chinese budget android phone now being as good, if nit better than the lower end wps it's clear that the games up. But.. In terms of high end (where I sit) if they fix this 950 and launch a decent surface phone I'm staying faithful. If this 950 keeps crashing and causing me no end of frustration then Samsung will be getting a wee chap at the door.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 10 of 10