Did you mean: 

Mental Health Awareness Week 2022 💚🎗

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi everyone!

I just noticed it's Mental Health Awareness Week (9-15 May). I thought it would be good to not only commemorate it, here, on the community, but to invite members to share their own stories or experience.

Hosted by the Mental Health Foundation, this year the organisation is trying to tackle loneliness! You can read more about this on their website. Communities, as well as friends, families and other support groups, play a vital part in helping those feel less lonely. 

For example, after I moved from Wales to London towards the end of last year, I've been pretty okay. But, I did have a bit of a wobble about a month ago, when I was a bit down because of something else that had happened in my life. I was so far from home that I felt very lonely for a few days - even though I was in a city of 9 million people!

Luckily, with technology, I could find comfort by talking to those that I care about and who care about me online. I also felt like I had a lot of purpose, thanks to things like my job. To be a part of a community, whether it's this one or another, I value real human interaction, that comes with respect for one another. Getting to know others, learning about them and sharing who I am with them! It's a beautiful privilege. 

What does being a part of a community mean to you? Does it help with your mental health? I hope members find this interesting and not triggering in any way. My messages are always open 🤗.

Have a good rest of the week, everyone! Thanks 💚🎗.

Community Manager for the O2 Community 🙂
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122367 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I think it's good there's a mental awareness week @lewys-gp.

Post Covid with lockdown etc, was a very lonely place to be, particularly for those who lived alone. As a retired nurse, I know of people who are still struggling with guilt and anger that they weren't allowed to be with their loved ones when they died 'alone' in hospital.

Those with relatives in nursing homes also struggled when their loved ones caught covid and they weren't allowed to visit.

Mental health problems have existed for years and thankfully, it's no longer a taboo subject. People are allowed to talk about their issues and this is good.

The days of men 'not being manly' if they admit to mental health issues should be stamped out. Females are far more vocal about their problems.

I've had bouts of depression but am lucky enough to have a great deal of support. Now I just take each day as it comes and look forward to the following day.

It's a massive subject to tackle and I hope there are people who seek help when they need it.

That's enough from me. I could talk for hours about this subject but won't. I have friends who have their own stories and I'll always be there to listen.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 5

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for commenting, @Cleoriff! I think you hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. We sometimes forget how important listening is, as a society.

I'm very happy it's no longer a taboo subject too 😊.

Message 3 of 5

RunrigForever
  • 2079 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @lewys-gp for posting this thread.

There is a dedicated centre for mental health in the town but it is  very difficult to be referred to ..... even just someone on the end of a phone for you like The Samaritans are - who I have rung at vital stages of my life. They are operating 24/7 and my low time is early morning struggling at the beginning but about after 1/2 hour I have done talking and am happy to say a heartfelt thank you and put the kettle on for a cuppa tea.

I am not one for crowds so find such as World Mental Health Day far too busy for me.

Anxiety goes with the Loneliness.

I can settle in a cafe or pub with a good book.

I have a small circle of good friends. We support each other with listening & understanding with empathy.

My sister will be leaving the area next year when her husband retires from work. My son lives in Washington, Tyne & Wear. He calls me often ..... I feel my mum's passing away last August made him realise I am getting older ..... No stigma / taboo ever from my son when he's seen me very ill with bi-polar disorder.

I am a good listener.

***DESORMAIS***
Message 4 of 5

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi, @RunrigForever. Thank you for commenting and sharing.

What you say about having that half-hour chat on the phone and having others support us shows how important it is to share with one another. I'm glad you have friends and your son to speak to 😊❤️.

Message 5 of 5