Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meningitis W. Vaccination for students.

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122384 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Young people starting university or college this autumn are being urged to get a vaccine against meningitis

Meningitis W is particularly virulent and is on the rise ....Some 22 people got meningitis W in 2009 in England, compared with almost 200 people in the last 12 months.

The vaccine is freely available from GP surgeries and Public Health England are urging students who are the highest risk group to get vaccinated. New students are at risk as they often mix closely with groups of unfamiliar people - some who may unknowingly carry the bug.

This strain of meningitis is highly aggressive....It is fatal in one in 10 cases and can lead to long-term health problems including deafness, epilepsy and amputations. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37097247

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
When any virus is on the increase, prevention should always be sought.
An increase of ten fold within 10 years is no blip is it?
Message 2 of 5

Cleoriff
  • 122384 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
When any virus is on the increase, prevention should always be sought.
An increase of ten fold within 10 years is no blip is it?

No it isn't @viridis. I wrote about this virus some time ago and I am absolutely shocked at the increase. I have just been in contact with my grandson who is 17 and at 6th form college. University next year. He will be vaccinated.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 5

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Thanks for posting @Cleoriff. I hope all young folks take the advice and get the vaccine. That's quite a worrying increase of this awful virus Smiley Frustrated x

giphy-3
Message 4 of 5

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Awareness is the key and let's hope other media outlets take up the mantle. Just like the flu vaccine is available to vulnerable groups, vaccination for this should be notified via all health centres and doctor's surgeries. 

Message 5 of 5