Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.R.S.A Resistance broken!

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122989 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I can't tell you how delighted I am to be posting this possible groundbreaking news.

At long last it seems the 'superbug' M.R.S.A (Methicillin Resistant Staphyloccus Aureus) has had it's resistance to antibiotics broken.....

Scientists in Merck Research Laboratories in USA have found that newly discovered chemical compounds can make MRSA bacteria vulnerable to the antibiotics they normally resist, restoring the old drug’s former powers.

It's complicated and needs more work but this is the first step that could address the global antibiotic resistance crisis.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2080180-mrsa-superbugs-resistance-to-antibiotics-is-broken/

As a ward manager I experienced the effects of MRSA on patients and staff, subsequent ward closures and cancellation of theatre sessions.  Personally I feel like shouting thank god for science....:smileyhappy:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Wonderful news, finally getting an edge on this.
Message 2 of 12

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
It's plagued our health service for years now, a real worry for medical staff. I hope the success of beating it, continues to a widespread solution.
Message 3 of 12

jonsie
  • 93251 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Groundbreaking indeed and this will be brilliant news for sufferers worldwide. 

Message 4 of 12

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Oh wow! That is fantastic news @Cleoriff Happy Dance such a devastating bug ..so happy that they are getting the better of it at last! Some real medical progress lately. Kudos to all the scientists  x

giphy-3
Message 5 of 12

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Assume grin
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 6 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122989 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I lived through it. My ward was the 2nd one in the Midlands to identify this awful bug. Not an honour we wanted or needed. With hindsight, it was down to the excellence of our microbiology team that it was identified. It probably meant, apart from the London hospitals, other places actually had MRSA but as it was so new they hadn't even tested for it.

At the time no-one realised the actual bacteria was present on most people. So it was carried into wards from visitors etc. It cost us millions setting up prevention and testing methods. We eradicated it from my ward by closing the place down and cleaning every nook and cranny. I never went home for 4 days. I was determined we would re-open bacteria free within 2 weeks. We did. ....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 12

Cairdeas
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

I lived through it. My ward was the 2nd one in the Midlands to identify this awful bug. Not an honour we wanted or needed. With hindsight, it was down to the excellence of our microbiology team that it was identified. It probably meant, apart from the London hospitals, other places actually had MRSA but as it was so new they hadn't even tested for it.

At the time no-one realised the actual bacteria was present on most people. So it was carried into wards from visitors etc. It cost us millions setting up prevention and testing methods. We eradicated it from my ward by closing the place down and cleaning every nook and cranny. I never went home for 4 days. I was determined we would re-open bacteria free within 2 weeks. We did. ....

@Anonymous credit to you and all the staff @Cleoriff slight_smile For all the negativity we hear about the NHS , stories like this confirm the dedication of our nurses is among the best in the world x

giphy-3
Message 8 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122989 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

My sons would say you  have to thank them as well @Cairdeas. Happy Dance

1) They never saw me for a week (only to deliver clean clothes to the hospital)

2) To add insult to injury... due to the exhaustion of my staff...I brought them in one evening to help make up 34 beds. To this day they remain experts at 'hospital bed corners'.....LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 12

Cairdeas
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

LOL excellent! And thank you too boys Smiley Very Happy x

giphy-3
Message 10 of 12