Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

A lovely end to a sad tale.

Unfortunately, it brings into question those poor kids who have nothing to eat when schools are closed in the UK. At least we have a 'free meals' system here.

A headmaster was discussing this very issue on the news yesterday. With the schools closing and re-opening then closing again, means so many children aren't getting fed.

Tragic in this day and age.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 30

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Yet some 300 Tory MPs think it acceptable to deny these very children having food whilst the fat tats are dining on steak in the House of Clowns.
The Marcus Rashford campaign is gathering support with many retailers now donating to the food banks that the kids rely on.
Message 3 of 30

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
We must feed our kids surely 😪
I don't know how the fat cat MPs can sleep at night...having their hands in the till up to their arm pits usually.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 4 of 30

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

This has been irritating me all day for many reasons. Far too much emotion being played yet few have actually understood the greater underlying issues and its easier playing the blame game. 

You can read the entire transcripted debate here: https://bit.ly/34oBzVp (search for Division number 154 at www.theyworkforyou.com- its long but a lot of valid points from all sides. Worth reading through.

Edited for correct link because the forum keeps replacing the link!

Message 5 of 30

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

For some reason that link doesn't work for me @sheepdog

However, I think emotion isn't a bad thing when we are talking about children going without food at any time.

I fully understand that children aren't eligible for school meals out of term time.

I also understand the system can be abused by parents using vouchers in supermarkets for anything other than food for their children.

However, to watch MP's debating this by using terms such as 'working parents will get 80% of salary when furloughed'  is a bloody joke.

Many people have lost jobs during Covid and are struggling to pay rent and mortgages, let alone buy food.

Also if one person in a couple is earning more than £7,500 per annum, the 2nd adult is entitled to nothing.

If working via agencies, again you are entitled to nothing when the agency lays you off. Agency work is usually the only way to find employment in this day and age.

I'm lucky enough to have a good pension from the NHS as well as a state pension. Same goes for my husband who worked for the EMEB and has a state pension as well.

My younger son worked via agencies doing warehouse work. He gets nothing as his partner is employed in a care home. Luckily his son is in his final year at University, where we have all chipped in to pay his fees.

My elder son has a job with Parcelforce and his ex-partner is a teacher. Their daughter is 10 so they are fine. They are the lucky ones.

Millions of other children aren't lucky at all.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a food bank in the town where I live

I am mindful of @jonsie 's signature

I have had recourse to approach the kind foodbank people in the past. It is run by the Baptist Church which are well known for their 'outreach'

On Monday I shall call them and ask what products are they in need of

When I last had to contact them (a few years ago now) I asked if there was any cat food? ... the lovely lady I spoke to said she would look into the miscellaneous box ... and lo there was ... they devilered soon after

Several carrier bags full of sensible items ... there is always a carrier bag of toiletries

I have a contact number for them and have put it to do in my phone calendar for Monday.

Message 7 of 30

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35218 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Thank you for the link to the voting record on this, @sheepdog.

My MP is in the Ayes, but if your MP is in the Noes or Abstained/was absent, here's a link that will let you send your MP a strongly-worded letter about it:

https://www.dauk.org/write-to-your-mp-food-poverty

Message 8 of 30

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Tory MP Ben Bradley has removed one of his offensive remarks about free meals for kids from Twitter but no apology. see here 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 9 of 30

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions