Did you mean: 

Is self-service really a disservice?

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36015 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1595 Solutions

From that X place:

Dear Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's, Lidl, Aldi, Waitrose, Morrisons, Marks & Spencer and all other stores that have self checkouts.

You are heading towards almost exclusively self-checkout now.

The lady checking receipts at the exit was stopping everyone.

I didn't choose to participate in that nonsense, as, with a trolley I had already filled in-store, and in a space smaller than a postage stamp, that I had had to:

🛒disgorge the contents;
🛒scan the items, or wait for assistance to scan an uncooperative barcode;

🛒negotiate several "Unexpected item in bagging area" prompts;
🛒refill my trolley.

So I just skipped the exit line and left.

I heard her saying "umm - Excuse me" as I kept walking. I raised the receipt, which the machine does not always print for you, above my head, leaving the store.

You can either trust me to do self-checkout, or you can put your cashiers back in place like it used to be.

I'm not interested in proving that I did your job for you.

• If you want me to be a cashier with no training then that's your problem, not mine.

• Keep employing young people and give them job opportunities.

YOU DON'T PAY ME TO SCAN MY OWN SHOPPING.

YOU DON'T GIVE ME STAFF DISCOUNT FOR WORKING FOR YOU.

Signed ....All of us

These are jobs that are needed for young and old alike.
………………………

Copied and pasted, because I agree 100%.
SPREAD IT AROUND

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6618 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

Well my goat was really got last Sunday.

Was at a Conference on Sunday at a Hotel and Spa Complex and we came across these parking notices.

Thankfully we did not have to pay but queried this with reception. It appears unless you have Android or iPhone you can't pay for parking without downloading an App.

No phone number to pay by phone

No Web Address to pay there

Oh, and I was told when you pay they charge you extra to process your card

1000007580.jpg

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 12

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5778 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@pgn 

I simply refuse to use self-checkouts and I find that if you make enough fuss, Aldi will open a checkout for you. 

The alternative is to have your shopping delivered. But that's another sore point with me.  

Message 3 of 12

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122986 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I shop online for everything. Food, clothes etc. I think Amazon is my very best friend! 😂

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 12

Oxonian
  • 5778 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Cleoriff 

I use Amazon a lot, but for batteries, wires, connectors and other bits and pieces, I use the local hardware and electrical shop as he is handy and I don't want him to close down ! 

Message 5 of 12

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6618 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

Apart from food about 90% of what I want to buy can't be got locally anymore

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 6 of 12

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Parking apps are an absolute pain. Last summer we went on a bit of tour and most places, namely towns, had the pay by app. Not the same app but a specific app you had to download register and then register a card. Oh, this one takes Apple pay which I have. Oh no says the app, that card isn't accepted even though its on the iphone and it scans in the app. Another car park decided that you couldn't pay with coins and everyone else couldn't get a signal to download the app. Fortunately the entrance price to the castle made it an easy decision to leave asap. Thankfully I live in area where I don't really need to pay for parking! Also no shops to buy anything from....

As for self-service checkouts, I'm another who refuses to use them as it is so frustrating to deal with. If you can't design a system that works intuitively then I can redesign it with a big rubber mallet. Also, I hate touchscreens especially at bank machines. For some reason, most banks have made a simple machine into an absolute tactile nightmare. Again, a big rubber mallet will solve that problem. 

@Enlli Same here but mines about 95%! I buy odd things that I can't exactly buy in most places so ebay is my first port of call for anything. I don't buy that many things off Amazon either which isn't by choice but rather that I find the entire website a pain to navigate/buy unless it is cheaper than everyone else by a considerable mile. Which does happen occasionally and a big plus of late is that standard delivery is about 2 days. Guess some neighbours have Amazon Prime and I get the benefit of faster delivery! 

Should probably throw in the touch screen ordering at McDonalds. I saw them years ago when they started installing them and refuse to use them (not that I'm a regular). Straight to the counter and order as I don't want to press multiple buttons to order a big mac meal. 

Message 7 of 12

Oxonian
  • 5778 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@sheepdog 

How does a big rubber mallet work at bank machines ? 

Message 8 of 12

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122986 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I got quite excited when I heard the news 'supermarket to discontinue use of self service tills.'

Then I read on and it's a supermarket called Booths?! Situated in the North of England apparently,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-67373472 

So it wont affect those of us in the Midlands 🙄

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 12

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Oxonian wrote:

@sheepdog 

How does a big rubber mallet work at bank machines ? 

Very effectively. Though I may er need to lie low for a while 😇 

Honestly, having to prod then prod again because the machine touchscreen doesn't register my touch makes it feel like l need a rubber mallet. Think it's either my years of typing on a keyboard expecting it to work as I think it should or its a poor capacitive screen overlay on the machine.  It may look pretty modern but cash machines were far better in the 90's for functionality. 

Message 10 of 12