Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'll be off from Wed 14 - Fri 23rd October

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys! Hope you're having a good week so far!

I just wanted to let you know that I'll be moving house soon and will be taking some time off for the actual move as well as some repairs/decoration at the new house. So excited! smile

From tomorrow, Wed 14 October until Friday 23rd October, I will not be around the community much as I will be packing final bits and pieces, moving furniture, ripping off carpet and putting in new flooring, painting walls etc... and getting the cats used to their new home hopefully without stressing them out.

If you need the community team for something, @Martin-O2 and @LukasB will be here. Smiley Happy 

Sorry for missing some quizzes again @Mi-Amigo !

Have you guys done any DIY decorating by any chance? I do remember reading about some projects some of you have mentioned working on in the past. Wish me luck, painting I think will be easy, but flooring could be a (fun?) challenge. I've checked out some YouTube tutorials and I think I have a pretty good idea of what to do. sweat_smile Let me know if you have any wisdom/tips to share. pray

Tools

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Good luck with the packing, painting, decorating, flooring etc @Marjo 

I hope you get the chance to have a rest and put your feet up -

and time to "entertain" and cater for your cats - during the "fun" time Cat.

We`ll miss you on the Community. I`ll try and behave while you`re away - no guarantee yahoo Wave

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 2 of 18

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I enjoy decorating @Marjo although I wouldn't be happy taking up carpets and laying new floor.

I had a few carpets here before eventually changing to laminate flooring and rugs.

One very expensive carpet we had down for years. Unfortunately they had put down the wrong underlay. When we attempted to take it up, the underlay had crumbled and was stuck to the original Marley tile flooring.

As the house is open plan, it went from porch, lounge, dining room and stairs.

We spent 5 days literally digging up the underlay. The carpet came off ok with no problems but the underlay was a damn nightmare.

Apparently (and according to the new carpet fitter) they should have put paper down, before the underlay as Marley tiles were renowned for heating in the warm weather and retracting in the cold. This caused the underlay to rot/crumble and stick!

However the best of luck to you. Moving house is stressful. I hope it goes well and Arthur and Drake stay safe and well. Cat

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 18

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Measure, measure, measure is the main thing when it comes to DIY.
Measure thrice, cut once is the old saying.
When you are cutting, cut too little off each time - you can always cut more off but it is difficult to stick it back on!
Try and start with a straight run where you can, but this is always tricky with doorways.
And remember the little spacers!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 18

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Thanks guys! slight_smile

@Mi-Amigo I intend to relax and put my feet up when my bed and/or sofa arrives grin Hopefully won't take too long but due to the pandemic things are a little slower still so might need to wait some extra days. 

@Cleoriff  @Mi-Amigo  the cats will have a bit more space to run around now so I think they will be happier in the new house. For entertainment I'll have some plastic straws and paper balls prepared for Arthur and toy mice and a mouse laser pointer ready for Drake. Cat Very Happy Cat

@Cleoriff Ugh that underlay situation sounded gross! I've peeked under the carpets here (they're pretty loose) and it looks dry underneath with underlay in ok condition. One room doesn't seem to have underlay at all (!!) between the floor base and the carpet though unless I somehow missed it.

@gmarkj Great tips thanks!! It will be my first time operating a jigsaw so yes I'll triple measure everything and cut carefully. I'm going to order a laminate fitting kit which will include those little spacers and also a pulling bar and a thing that I can use to press the boards together.

Message 5 of 18

MI5
  • 143411 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Enjoy wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wishing you luck @Marjo and Arthur and Drake stay safe.
Message 7 of 18

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Lol, you're gonna miss out.
Message 8 of 18

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Thanks @Anonymous , @MI5 slight_smile 

@viridis I'm gutted that I'm going to miss out! Will catch up ASAP when back! slight_smile

Had to pop by quickly to finish a few things this morning but shortly logging off. Hope you all have a great week and a half ahead! sun sun sun

Message 9 of 18

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions