cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heads Up : Xbox and PlayStation online services crash

Anonymous
Not applicable

Headline : Xbox and PlayStation online services crash.

Excerpt from the Link "Xbox and PlayStation online services have been suffering technical problems, amid claims a hacking group has disabled their services.

Microsoft and Sony - the companies which make the games consoles - have told customers they are aware of issues affecting their online services."

My thoughts :

If you've just got a nice new shiny console and are having issues online then this may be the fault. 

Source : BBC News. 

Read more here : Xbox and PlayStation online services crash

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some more news on this from Source : NBC News. 

Hacked? Xbox and Playstation Networks Both Go Down for Christmas

Excerpt from the Link "A hacker group called "Lizard Squad" claimed responsibility, saying on Twitter that it toppled both networks with so-called distributed denial of service attacks. The tactic involves overwhelming Sony and Microsoft's servers with unexpected — and bogus — user traffic. "Jingle bells jingle bells xbox got ran," the group wrote on Twitter Thursday, adding a similar line about Sony. "oh my fun it is to troll of you morons ... hey!"

Message 2 of 18

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
They really won't find it too funny in a few days,
Message 3 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@viridis wrote:
They really won't find it too funny in a few days,

What do you think will happen @viridis ?

I can't understand the mentality of these seemingly intelligent knowledgable individuals 😔

Message 4 of 18

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
I would expect a knock on some doors, and if that didn't work, a pastebin file.
Of course, problem is they are not hacking, they are ddos'ing, which anyone can do with a basic executable. They have members all do it at same time and the servers cripple under traffic.
The real hackers are the ones who will pass on the information to authorities and possibly the public.
Lizard squad were warned.
Message 5 of 18

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122387 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

For a dumbo like me I have no idea of the difference between hacking and ddos'ing @viridis ? Nor the difference in implications ?

I bet you didn't think you would need to embark on a teaching session....on Boxing Day LOL

(Blame my son...he promised 'lunch by 1.45'....RolleysRolleys)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cleoriff
  • 122387 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

So it was...when I was away....

Still doesn't explain what ddos are though...which is why I was asking Viridis...for clarification....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 18

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Imagine connections to the servers are like pipes.
Most of the time the user data flows quite freely.
Ddos attacks are when they fill every pipe with false user data and that brings the whole network to a standstill because the pipes are all full and bottle necked.
Message 9 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDOS#Distributed_attack

"A distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack occurs when multiple systems flood the bandwidth or resources of a targeted system, usually one or more web servers.["
Message 10 of 18