Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Hackers' release 13,000 passwords

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122986 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

This is linked to this story about Xbox and PS4 being 'hacked' on Christmas day...

However, as it is news about password 'hacking' ....I thought it probably needed a thread of its own..

" Hackers release cache of 13,000 passwords and credit card details of Playstation, Xbox and Amazon users"

I do realise that 13,000 isn't many in the grand scheme of things.... but it could be any of us I suppose.

My credit card details are logged into Amazon and Xbox live....so I will be changing them asap...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2888339/Hackers-release-cache-13-000-passwords-credit-cards-...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the Heads Up Cleoriff.

I use Paypal and don't log my debit card details but I'll still be changing my logins anyway.

I'm surprised I've not had an auto email from Amazon advising of this !
Message 2 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122986 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I must admit to being a tad sceptical about this at first as it was my 15 year old grandson who passed it on Rolleys..

However, he provided me with the link which is genuine enough....hence me posting it..

There was so much hype round the initial story...about who was responsible for the 'hacking' and who 'resolved it'.......

My sons and grandson say they weren't affected ....but as they weren't online at the time that isn't proven!

I suppose with the millions of people using the two games consoles...and those who subscribe to Amazon, 15,000 people being hacked 'is a drop in the ocean' as it were.....but...

I would rather be safe than sorry ...hence the reason for the post.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Having being hacked before by a key logging Trojan I'm always appreciative of Heads Up like the one you posted.

Please also pass on our thanks to your Grandson too. 😄
Message 4 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23101 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3677 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

I must admit to being a tad sceptical about this at first as it was my 15 year old grandson who passed it on Rolleys..

However, he provided me with the link which is genuine enough....hence me posting it..

There was so much hype round the initial story...about who was responsible for the 'hacking' and who 'resolved it'.......

My sons and grandson say they weren't affected ....but as they weren't online at the time that isn't proven!

I suppose with the millions of people using the two games consoles...and those who subscribe to Amazon, 15,000 people being hacked 'is a drop in the ocean' as it were.....but...

I would rather be safe than sorry ...hence the reason for the post.

Thank you for posting the link @Cleoriff Here's another related article: 

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102297819

There doesn't appear to be any mention of Amazon, but a good rule of thumb should be to change your passwords periodically anyway. Particularly if you have credit or debit cards associated with a site.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 10

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

The Daily Dot seems to be the originator of this story and in every report are accredited.

I can find no other verification of the story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daily_Dot

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 6 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122986 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

The Daily Dot seems to be the originator of this story and in every report are accredited.

I can find no other verification of the story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daily_Dot

The Daily Dot? First time I have heard of that one.....:smileywink:

I realise it all may be a scaremongering tactic...but that is what they do. Of the 6 issues highlighted in the Mail Online article I posted.....we know 4 to be correct...so it will cause concern that those relating to credit card details could also be true

Personally I change my passwords frequently...but as many experts on here have shown...hackers can break most of them ....

So whether this is true or not....I have, in effect, posted a timely reminder to everyone about getting your passwords changed...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 10

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Possibly The Daily Dot are linking the recent DDoS and hacking of other websites to something they believe may have occurred........nobody can prove them wrong.

The clue is here :

"Update: The story...........has also been updated to indicate that not all of the sites themselves have necessarily been compromised; instead, malware installed on the computers of individual users could have been responsible for some of the security breaches."

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 8 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122986 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

Possibly The Daily Dot are linking the recent DDoS and hacking of other websites to something they believe may have occurred........nobody can prove them wrong.

The clue is here :

"Update: The story...........has also been updated to indicate that not all of the sites themselves have necessarily been compromised; instead, malware installed on the computers of individual users could have been responsible for some of the security breaches."

Frightening all the same @Beenherebefore  (not so much for folk like you ..... obviously extremely computer savvy)....:smileywink:

Not all of us have that same level of expertise, so I suspect it is that group of people the report is targetting

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Most banks will cover you against this type of fraud. Its not one to get alarmed about but it sells newspapers...

Message 10 of 10