Did you mean: 

Golden Globes 2019

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

Last night, the 2019 Golden Globe Awards took place and I don't know about you but I always like to keep an eye on the results clapper Here are the winners this year:

• Best motion picture - drama: Bohemian Rhapsody
  • Best motion picture - comedy or musical: Green Book
  • Best performance by an actor in a motion picture - drama: Rami Malek in Bohemian Rhapsody
  • Best performance by an actress in a motion picture - drama: Glenn Close in The Wife
  • Best performance by an actor in a motion picture - comedy or musical: Christian Bale in Vice
  • Best performance by an actress in a motion picture - comedy or musical: Olivia Colman in The Favourite
  • Best performance by an actor in a supporting role in a motion picture: Mahershala Ali in Green Book
  • Best performance by an actress in a supporting role in a motion picture: Regina King in If Beale Street Could Talk
  • Best director - motion picture: Alfonso Cuaron for Roma
  • Best screenplay - motion picture: Green Book
  • Best animated film: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
  • Best foreign language film: Roma
  • Best original score: First Man - Justin Hurwitz
  • Best original song - motion picture: Shallow - A Star is Born (Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson)
  • Best television series - drama: The Americans
  • Best television series - comedy: The Kominsky Method
  • Best actor in a television series - drama: Richard Madden in Bodyguard
  • Best actress in a television series - drama: Sandra Oh in Killing Eve
  • Best actor in a television series - musical or comedy: Michael Douglas in The Kominsky Method
  • Best actress in a television series - musical or comedy: Rachel Brosnahan -in The Marvellous Mrs Maisel
  • Best limited series or motion picture made for television: The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
  • Best actor in a limited series or motion picture made for television: Darren Criss in The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
  • Best actress in a limited series or motion picture made for television: Patricia Arquette in Escape at Dannemora
  • Best supporting actor in a series, limited series or motion picture made for television: Ben Whishaw in A Very English Scandal
  • Best supporting actress in a series, limited series or motion picture made for television: Patricia Clarkson in Sharp Objects

Did you see and like any of the winning movies and shows? Any surprises? nerd

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not heard of 90% of them, and not seen 100% of them, but I did learn that Christian Bale is Welsh!

Message 2 of 25

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I cannot believe Jodie Comer wasn't nominated for her role as Villanelle in Killing Eve. Sandra Oh was very good as Eve, but Jodie Comer was magnificent.

Thanks

Steve
Message 3 of 25

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

The Brits did well!

I am so pleased to see Bohemian Rhapsody received two well deserved awards

Richard Madden for his performance in Bodyguard (the most watched TV series this year)

I loved Killing Eve, so I was happy to see Sandra Oh awarded...though did think Jodie Comer (who played Villanelle) should have been up there as well.

Olivia Colman deserves every award going. Superb actress...

Well done to Ben Whishaw as well...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@welshsteve76 wrote:

I cannot believe Jodie Comer wasn't nominated for her role as Villanelle in Killing Eve. Sandra Oh was very good as Eve, but Jodie Comer was magnificent.

Totally agree @welshsteve76. I said as much in my post above...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 25

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Anonymous 

Most of the movies I haven't seen either, but I know a few of the shows ... After hearing so many good things about the films I do want to try and check them out in the coming weeks though!

@welshsteve76

Killing Eve is definitely one I need to watch soon, all I hear about this show it praise after praise Surprised

@Cleoriff

I watched The Bodyguard before I went on holiday and although the first episode didn't convince me I binged the rest of the show within 48 hours - so good! Did you see the movie and series for which Olivia Coleman and Ben Whishaw won the Awards for their performance this time around?

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 6 of 25

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@EmilieT am really pleased to see Rami Malek won for Bohemian Rhapsody, though I've yet to see the film. He is a superb actor. I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Did see Killing Eve and I echo @welshsteve76 and @Cleoriff's comments, though I'm a big fan of Sandra Oh.

Loved the Bodyguard and Richard Madden so deserved his award. Shock when I heard his Scots accent when he was on Ellen recently, never would have guessed.

And also pleased about Darren Criss who was superb in The Assassination of Gianni Versace. His role was as far away from Glee as one could get and he was superbly chilling.

Also saw A Very English Scandal and Ben Wishaw was excellent.

Looking forward to A Star is Born too and Lady Gaga's performance. I've only ever seen the Judy Garland version.

Olivia Coleman is amazing and deserves every award going. Still see her heavily pregnant and giving a star turn in The Night Manager. Pure class!

Not seen The Wife but can't imagine Glenn Close giving a bad performance.

Not and never have been a fan of Christian Bale, even when he was a lad. But I did know he was Welsh, he's quite a proud Welshman, at least so he says 🙄

Another name I am pleased to see is Mahershala (actually his first name is considerably longer so glad he shortened it a bit 😂) Ali. About time he started getting some recignition, he's a fine actor. And Regina King as well, for the same reason. Though I've seen neither film.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 7 of 25

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Sometimes the nominations for all these awards are just odd.  I wonder if there's a lot "campaigning for nominations" going on behind the scenes by agents etc?

Ultimately these things are decided by so called industry experts, but it is the viewers/listeners of tv/film/music etc, and the affect the performaces have on them, that ultimately know best IMO

Thanks

Steve
Message 8 of 25

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Well a lot of campaigning goes on for the Oscars, and it's said how The Golden Globes go, so go The Oscars, so I'd say yes @welshsteve76.

I agree totally with your view but you'd be surprised how many people go to see a film because it won an Oscar or was even nominated for an Oscar. Daft really. When I went to the cinema regularly I went to see a film because of the story not based on the awards it'd won, or even who the actors were.

Anyway, I found if the critics loved it I hated it and if they hated it I loved it. At the end of the day it's all down to personal opinion whether you're a so-called industry expert, a critic or Joe Bloggs. 10 people can all see the same film but have 10 different opinions ranging from it was fantastic to it was sh!te joy

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 9 of 25

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I nominate Jodie Comer as the next James Bond. She was so cool, witty and menacing in Killing Eve.

Hopefully she will win something in our awards.

Message 10 of 25