cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Impressions : iOS 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

iOS 8 First Impressions on iPhone 5s and iPad Air.

I recently upgraded from iOS 7.1.2 to iOS 8.

I have personally found the Ui and animations to be much more fluid than iOS7.1.2 ,and my iPhone 5s and iPad Air 'seems' to be snappier. Time will tell. 

Although everyones usage pattern is different I'm also finding that I have a higher battery level left on each at the end of my day. 

Certain additions to iOS 8 are really helpful such as a Battery Hog Indicator found in Settings ~ General ~ Usage ~ Battery Usage. This allows you to see if a particular App is eating the battery power away. A feature Apple have caught Android up with ,and about time. wink

Bringing in in the same open tab view on the iPad like the iPhone is about time ,and makes switching tabs so much easier. 

FindMyIphone has been improved now and sends the last location to Apple before your battery dies.

I would like to try Calling over WiFi if and when O2 activate the feature. 

I'm not overly impressed with the extra Apps that were downloaded automatically with the upgrade such as 'Tips' and 'Podcasts' which I cannot delete. 😞

I've not used the 'Health' App yet but I'm sure I'll have a play.  

I'm finding Safari to be more fluid both on my iPad Air and iPhone 5s.

The tabs reload issue on my iPad Air is less too. 

And at at last I can now 'Request The Desktop Site' in Safari so I can now use the Rich Editor. 

The inclusion of the new keyboard is about time for my needs with the inclusion of the word prompt at the top. Android users have enjoyed this for so long I'm ashamed to say it's about time Apple caught up with this. This can be turned off for people who don't like the changes too. The option to add further 3rd party options too is a positive move. 

Privacy has been a part of iOS 8 too and you can now power your Safari with DuckDuckGo, a search tool that's focused on protecting your privacy. Settings ~ Safari ~ Search Engine. 

Theirs lots more tweaks included in iOS 8 which do make the end user experience better. 

Some reports of user experience by iPhone 4s users have not been a positive ones 😞 

A very good piece by TechRadar Here.

Apple iOS8 link.

Feel free to add what you Like / Dislike 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

A very helpful post.

It is interesting to see how other users find iOS8.

I have been on the Health app (not to use the main features as it doesn't link up to my apps yet).  I have used it to complete the Medical ID bit and I think that is very helpful.  Although I personally don't know if I would feel comfortable going through someones phone during an emergency.

Message 2 of 5

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I think it's a little gullible to think that every upate is going to be optimised for every device. I'm sure they do try to be accommodating with this. However lower power devices will struggle to keep up with a kernel which requires more device memory and processor power.

The iPhones are thin however this leads to a inadequate battery in some cases. With a difference of around 300mA between the batteries in a 5s and 6, it's no wonder why this is happening to people.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 3 of 5

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I've only had the iPhone 6 for 2 days and (touch wood) I am finding the battery life to be better than the iPhone 5s.  Although I do already choose most of the battery saving options.

Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gemz4the1 wrote:

I've only had the iPhone 6 for 2 days and (touch wood) I am finding the battery life to be better than the iPhone 5s.  Although I do already choose most of the battery saving options.

I think most SmartPhone users tweak some settings to help reduce battery drain. 

I'm also in the camp of not doing too much as to throttle the user experience. 

Good to hear the 6 battery is lasting longer between charges. 👍

Message 5 of 5