Festive snacks, sweets & treats

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

IMG_7525.jpg

Hi everyone, 

During this season, with the cold weather creeping in and the days being shorter, I find that festive treats can lift up my mood and make me forget about the freezing wind and grey skies. In fact this weekend, I spent a couple of hours making the gingerbread men you can see in the picture on the right - the smell alone was fantastic, but the snacking that followed was even better smiley

Do you have any favourite treats you like to get over the festive period?

Gingerbread, mince pies, chocolate candied oranges, candy cane, some fudge, anything caramel, a good cup of hot chocolate, ... there are so many options out there, and we all celebrate the holidays in our own way - I'd be curious to know what are the treats you like most over this time of the year! christmas_tree

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@EmilieT

I could eat mince pies all day long. I love them and it annoys me that they only become available in the winter. (I don't make my own. as I find shop bought far more tasty)

I do like nuts and raisins as well. Any type of nut will do, except almonds.wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 38

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff I just looked it up and apprently about 370 millions mince pies are bought each year in the UK - I imagine you're playing a good part in this number? joy

More seriously I do like mince pies as well, they're not really a thing in France so it was a really lovely discovery I made when I moved here. I'm not big on raisins but nuts, yes please - have you tried some of the honey or maple roasted ones? Rich but oh so delicious smiley

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 3 of 38

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@EmilieT

I have no idea why mince pies should be seasonal?! I have decided I will buy some in bulk this year and shove them in the freezer. This should ease my craving during the summer months..joy

I haven't tried any of the honey or maple nuts, though will give them a try I think.

I also received a selection box of Le Chocolat two days ago. My niece in Scotland sent them. They are delicious wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable
I try not to stuff my face all your round, Christmas is no exception.. if it's on offer I'll snaffle it but I don't like anything particularly festive.
Message 5 of 38

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT

My fav. snack is slice of home baked ham, pickles and a  fresh bread roll.

or slice of my heavy fruit cake with strong cheddar cheese and a cup of coffee.

A glass of Crabbies Ginger Wine.

Your Ginger Bread Men look fantastic.  I love ginger.  

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 38

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff

Sounds like a good plan, stock up for the rest of the year smile Let me know how you like those honey/maple roasted nuts, I can't stop eating them once they're in front of me so I have to be very careful buying them!

@Anonymous

It's a very healthy rule to live by, I wish I could follow it as well more regularly ... grimacing sweat_smile

@TallTrees

Thanks for the compliment, they were a lot of fun to make! I do like a fresh bread roll with anything on, that's the French in me. Would you eat heavy fruit cake with cheddar then? That's a combinaison I'd not heard of before but why not smiley

signature

Message 7 of 38

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hello @EmilieT

Yes, Fruit Cake and a piece of Cheddar Cheese is very nice.

I love fresh bread rolls ~ can't resist them ~ like peanut butter on them.

Tinned tuna fish in the roll with some seafood sauce and tuck in with crisps (of course)

Pot of tea.  Tell you what is nice is Chinese Tea (flower tea) very refreshing.  

When I was in Singapore they put tea to sip inbetween courses and there are lots of courses

absolutely fantastic.  Some of the best food in the world. 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 8 of 38

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Quality street for the sweet tooth

Also love some cheese, wine and biscuits at this time of year

Message 9 of 38

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I also love mince pies, warm from the oven with some double cream, absolutely yummy.

And I love the honey roasted nuts too @EmilieT but like mince pies you only seem to see them in shops during the Christmas period. Daft really as you can enjoy them any time of the year.

Like @Cleoriff I stocked up on the honey roasted cashews and peanuts and will stuff my face over Christmas. Bought enough to share with my friends, otherwise I'd eat them all myself joy

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 10 of 38