Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRAUD FRAUD And collusion in fraud by O2

Anonymous
Not applicable

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!
PLEASE SHARE!
I never ask for anything to be shared but for your own sake YOU NEED TO SHARE THIS and get this fraud stopped!
If you own a smart phone; and have direct debit then you are WIDE OPEN to be defrauded by a SCAM and your bank account pillaged & emptied, and there is currently absolutely NOTHING you can do about it! 
The scam is run by a company called KKO Mobile, also known as MyDoo and is owned by another Company called CellFish. 

In some way, either by a virus, hidden button in an app or other subversive method, they subscribe you to a premium rate service. This can be £5 a week but could change to any time period like daily/ hourly etc. 
This is billed directly through your mobile operator in my case O2; and O2 have direct access to my current account via direct debit. As it turns out you have no protection against fraud committed in this way at all believe it or not, I couldn't believe it! 
So in effect KKO Mobile can make an app, that subscribes you to their service, empties your bank account and walk away! They are based in France. 
After calling O2, they will not accept any responsibility for the fraud, even though it was facilitated through the O2 payment system! O2 refuse to pay back money stolen using their system. 
As I have found out O2 and the other operators apparently have no interest in closing this loophole as conveniently they receive a percentage of the profits! 
For the record, I categorically did not enter into any form of contract with KKO Mobile, and have not accepted any agreements, like thousands of others, basically was completely unaware of the scam!
As it appears O2 have completely failed to ensure any form of due diligence in protecting my finances, and they are not to be trusted at all. 

I've called them to remove my bank account details with immediate effect ! 
There is a regulatory body called PhonePayPlus that appear utterly useless; both them and O2 have had complains since 2010 and have done NOTHING! Conveniently they are also funded by the networks...

This situation is completely unacceptable. A criminal, bogus and fraudulent 3rd party should not be able to scam your finances and this be facilitated by the network provider, with no redress. This is effectively colluding in fraud! 
I've made an official complaint to the police, theft through fraud, and to phonepayplus.org.uk and passed this onto my solicitor.

IN ORDER TO PROTECT YOURSELF, THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF IS DO WHAT I HAVE DONE, AND THAT IS CANCEL THE DIRECT DEBIT AND PAY EACH MONTH. 
THAT IS UNTIL I FIND A WAY TO STOP THIS LOOPHOLE.

In the mean time be very vigilant of any texts that say you are subscribed to anything, although sending stop is most likely another scam! 
There's no way O2 aren't aware of this!!! you only need to google KKO Mobile Scam

Utterly disgraceful of O2. 

It would be only reasonable to trust O2 with regard to my finances; and to expect them to excersise a level of due diligence with regard to protecting me as a customer; unfortunatly O2 have shown absolute disregard, and complete neglegence in allowing a 3rd party to perpetrate a criminal and fraudulant activity. In effect O2 facilitated the crime, and allowed direct access to my fiances to unscrupulous 3rd parties and are fully aware of the level of complains raised against KKO Mobile. There is a very real danger of KKO mobile completly clearing out  your current account, and no-one is accountable! 

Return my stolen money O2...!

Utterly disgusted O2 customer!

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Phonepayplus is your only hope and they do prosecute.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 30

ewanrw
Level 10: Inspirational
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions

In my experience, it's usually an a rogue app which causes these charges or a premium service knowingly or accidentally signed up to by the end user.

If it's a premium service you can report to www.phonepayplus.org.uk, if it's an App, then you could be snookered, however, O2 have no blame in this and have done nothing wrong or illegal. Ultimately, as the end user, it's your responsibility.

ewan

Message 3 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

They can't prosecute a company in France! 

Simply google KKO Mobile scam.... They are as much use as a chocolate fireguard, and not independant, funded by the operators, who are skimming profits be sidestepping this fraud.. Utterly incredible... 

And the fact it's being going on so long Smiley Frustrated

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/thousands-hit-by-text-scam-smartphone-1430461

http://freshplastic.typepad.com/blog/2013/05/the-mobile-phone-premium-rate-industry-stopped-stealing...

Message 4 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Evan, they have a duty of care! They control my account and are entrusted with access via the direct debit system..
This in effect means, a criminal can create an app, that removes £20,000 from your account and walk away! The fraudsters have used O2 as a payment conduit to commit fraud, o2 have a duty of care toward me as a customer as they are directly connected to me account and able to extract funds. it would not be unreasonable to expect they prevent fraudulent activity.... Or are you saying, you would allow £500 to be criminally removed from your account, and this be facilitated by O2 and you just say. Oh well.. I better call the criminals and ask for it back... Do you thing they are bothered. There has to be a level of accountability when O2 control the access to your account and money!
Message 5 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

Evan, they have a duty of care! They control my account and are entrusted with access via the direct debit system..
This in effect means, a criminal can create an app, that removes £20,000 from your account and walk away! The fraudsters have used O2 as a payment conduit to commit fraud, o2 have a duty of care toward me as a customer as they are directly connected to me account and able to extract funds. it would not be unreasonable to expect they prevent fraudulent activity.... Or are you saying, you would allow £500 to be criminally removed from your account, and this be facilitated by O2 and you just say. Oh well.. I better call the criminals and ask for it back... Do you thing they are bothered. There has to be a level of accountability when O2 control the access to your account and money!

Message 6 of 30

ewanrw
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions

Think you'll find it's Ewan 😉

Many people sign-up-to and use these services daily, so how were O2 to know that you didn't give your express permission, usually asked for as part of the sign-up process, to accept the charges? 

If it's a genuine case of fraud, then it will get sorted out, but O2 cannot be held responsible for something of your own doing.

ewan

Message 7 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry Ewan, I agree entirly; however there is still accountabilty when o2 are handling the money... 

And how is it my own doing... Thats like saying, your credit card was used by a cyber criminal for a£1000 and it's your fault Ewan, even though you knew nothing about it... Do you just think Oh thats fine! Are you happy about that. Of course not; you would look to the people who you expect to protect you " the credit card company" 

Or do you not see this Ewan.?

The is a massive loophole that is being exploited, by these bogus firms; if they had not taken a cutof the profit, faciltated the the fraud and acted as a condiut to defraud me then yes I would say it's a legal get out. But that is not what is happening; they are party to and implicated in electronic fraud; it is not difficult to write an app that simply mails the users number and subscibes them to a service. 

O2 are fully aware of the complaints they have had regarding this scam, and therfore have are culpable in it's execution... 

If they have not been implicated in the method used to steal money from me then fine, I would have been covered under either my banks fraud protection or my credit cards; as it stands O2 have allowed a scam to be purpetrated through their system!!! and then expect to firstly profit from this, and secondly be completly absolved from the crime. Sorry but that is not going to happen... This has been happening to thousands of people and has to be stopped! I've got the police, my solicitor and Phonepayplus on with it. I'm now onto my MP, and will do everything possible to retrive my money! 

It appears o2 have been getting away with this convenient little scam form several years... Disgusting. 

Message 8 of 30

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I hope you get satisfaction here. Please give us regular updates as to the progress of your problem. Hopefully this will help others with the same problem that you now face.

Message 9 of 30

ewanrw
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions

No, I don't see it that way.

Very simply, and apologies in advance if it's not the case, but it sounds like you've signed up to or downloaded an App that has "In-App Billing" and run-up a bill - very different from fraudulent use of a credit card.

Like I said, if it's a genuine fraud, it'll get sorted out 🙂

ewan

Message 10 of 30