FORMULA 1 2024

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123343 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7474 Solutions

So breaking news before the start of the 2024 season:

Lewis Hamilton appears to be making a move to Ferrari for the 2025 season

A major shock as he signed a two year contract with Mercedes last season. So whether it was one year with an opt out clause for 2025 is anyone's guess.

This seems to be anything but a silly season rumour!

MOTORSPORT: HAMILTON TO FERRARI 

SKY NEWS: HAMILTON TO FERRARI FOR 2025 

A lot more news happening but I'll post that later. For now, I need to go and have a lie down 😂

NB As Charles Leclerc has just signed a contract extension with Ferrari, it looks as if Lewis would be replacing Carlos Sainz.

It won't be a popular move. Also, not sure how Mercedes will handle that news THIS year as Lewis is driving for them until the end of 2024.

Will they put all their eggs in George Russells basket? (Hamilton came 3rd in the drivers championship last year and Russell came 8th)

Questions Questions!!🤔

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 127
126 REPLIES 126

MI5
  • 144959 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27792 Solutions

Seb's coming back too.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 127

Cleoriff
  • 123343 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7474 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Seb's coming back too.

Not heard that @MI5 ...who is he driving for? (Got Sky News on currently and its deadline day for transfers...but all they are talking about is Lewis.)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 127

MI5
  • 144959 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27792 Solutions

He's currently "in talks".

Can't say anymore right now.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 127

Cleoriff
  • 123343 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7474 Solutions

Right, last night I annoyed everyone by flicking over to Sky Sports News constantly. 

Then Sky F1 got their presenters together for a chat about this move.

Simon Lazenby, Karun Chandok, Martin Brundle, Damon Hill and Natalie Pinkham. On video link were Jenson Button and Nico Rosberg.

All seemed to think this was a good move for Lewis. (As every F1 driver wants to race for Ferrari) Mmmmmm!!

As was generally agreed, Lewis had shown a lot of loyalty to Mercedes for the past 11 years but 2 years in a car incapable of winning races was a lot to put up with.

Then discussion about who would replace Hamilton.

My personal favourite would be Albon.

However we need to remember, Alonso is in the mix, as is Ocon and Sainz.

Also as they said, this isnt such a shock. Lewis and Fred Vasseur (Team Principal Ferrari) go way back and are friends.

As far as I'm concerned, I wont become a member of the Tifosi (Ferrari fans) I support Lewis until he hangs up his crash helmet. 😂

Mercedes team were informed yesterday.

Oscar Piastri tweeted 'I've just been out for a run. Has anything happened?'  😂

George Russell tweeted that it had been such a pleasure driving with him and let's make 2024 the best year ever.

Oh, and the only mention made of Vettel during the commentary last night was ' Maybe Seb will come back for the 2025 season? '

Lots more news about team changes of names but I'll leave that for another post.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 127

Cleoriff
  • 123343 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7474 Solutions

OK, so lets get back to the 2024 season.

No driver changes this year. Many contracts finish in 2025.

Teams who heard the Hamilton 'rumours' suddenly (post 23 season) locked down their 'super' drivers.

Ferrari extended Leclerc's contract (with more money obviously)

McLaren extended Lando Norris's contract ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

According to  the F1 commentators on last nights podcast, they were probably aware that teams (including Mercedes) would be looking for replacements for drivers who were leaving.

Two teams have had a name change:

Alfa Romeo will now be called Kick Sauber, or to give it the full name Stake F1 team Kick Sauber

Alpha Tauri will now become Visa Cash App RB. (pretty stupid really, calling teams after sponsors)

Will the commentary team shorten it to VCARB? 😂

Cars will be revealed on these dates:

HaasFebruary 2
SauberFebruary 5
WilliamsFebruary 5
AlpineFebruary 7
Visa Cash App RBFebruary 8
Aston MartinFebruary 12
FerrariFebruary 13
MercedesFebruary 14
McLarenFebruary 14
Red BullFebruary 15

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 127

Cleoriff
  • 123343 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7474 Solutions

Moneygram Haas VF-24

Haas 24.jpg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 127

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10275 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3021 Solutions

What the hell is wrong with the teams and some of the names... 

What are your thoughts @Cleoriff on the Andretti Saga, which seems to have put the FIA and F1 on a collision course. and it seems to all be about the engine not been a GM F1 engine...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 8 of 127

Cleoriff
  • 123343 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7474 Solutions

@madasaf1sh 

I think there's a lot more to this rejection of Andretti than we are lead to believe.

Firstly, in October 23 the proposal was virtually agreed by the F1A. It had to pass the Commercial requirements from FI.

Then Formula One Management (FOM) released this lengthy statement about why they couldn't admit them.

Yes a fair bit about the engine 'unsuitable for 25/26 but would meet the criteria for 2028?' WHY?

All regulations are changing for 2026 and this would be ideal for them.

Also, Andretti said today they lied about non attendance at a meeting in December. Apparently they were never invited!

F1 also stated the commercial stakeholders felt it wasn't a suitable time.

Personally I think the current 10 teams were against it. (or most of them  were) All down to money imo. They were concerned that the shareout would affect their share of the money given at the season start.

I think it's a real shame. The car was built. Had spent time in the wind tunnel testing.

A blow for the USA who have really opened their hearts to F1. We race at 3 venues in America and yet we cant have a real US team?

Brundle agrees that this decision will cause friction between F1 and the FIA.

Mind you there is already friction between Liberty Media and Mohammed Ben Sulayem!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 127

Cleoriff
  • 123343 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7474 Solutions

PS, talk about 'burying news'

The news about Hamiltons move to Ferrari...looks as if it was timed to push the Andretti  saga to the bottom of the F1 'ocean!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 127