Earth Hour 🌎

TheresaV
Former Staff
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

the-new-york-public-library-yEauzeZU6xo-unsplash.jpg

Hi everyone!

Tomorrow, on Saturday the 27th of March from 8.30pm until 9.30pm is Earth Hour  🌎 This annual event is held globally to remind people of the importance of our planet through encouraging individuals, communities and businesses to turn off their lights for one hour in support of nature and as a commitment to our planet.

Started by the WWF in Sydney in 2007, Earth Hour is now an event held every year on the last Saturday of March with millions of people from over 180 countries switching off their lights for the planet. But Earth Hour aims to reach beyond this symbolic act of ‘switching off’ to turn our attention to the changes that need to be made to decrease our environmental impact and protect our planet 🌱

But what can we do as individuals to support this cause beyond the hour of darkness on our Saturday evenings? A lot! The official Earth Hour website has a whole section on how we can all chip in to make the planet a little bit better day by day. This is accompanied by a list of activities you can hold (covid-safely) within your own home, which you can both find here.

What are your tips on living clean and sustainable to help our planet? I personally am trying to use reusable bags, lunch boxes and water bottles wherever possible. I also try to think through my clothing and beauty purchases carefully to not impulse buy but instead invest in long-lasting pieces.

Share your advice on planet-friendly living with us and we all might even learn something we didn’t think of before wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10773 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hello @TheresaV 

Very special ~ will turn off all my lights.

I do as much re-cycle as I can.

Use the council's re-cycle bins for glass etc. if I can't re-cycle it they can.

Food Waste is re-cycled.

Garden debris leaves etc. is re-cycled, logs of dead trees 

for bug homes, anything useable for bee homes.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 2 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 123010 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

@TheresaV 

I've always turned off my lights since the initiative began. Unfortunately If it has coincided with a Rock and Roll weekend then impossible to do it

I've stopped using plastic bags and plastic bottles.

Recycle as much as I can. Garden waste  is turned to compost which is reusable.

One of the few charities I support is Save The Planet

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 8

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@TallTrees That's so true. I absolutely hate throwing food away, so I always find a way to use leftovers. And there is so much done around leftover cooking etc, so you definitely get idea on how you can transform them! I also try to not buy pre-packed veggies and fruit to avoid extra waste.

@Cleoriff A concert is however a valid reason for that sweat_smile The things you do for what you love right? I once got up at 4am for the release of a product that I was dying to have! 

Oh and have you heard of the app Too Good to Go? Not sure if it is as big outside of London but it is such a clever way of tackling food waste!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 4 of 8

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25166 Posts
  • 812 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for the reminder about Earth Hour @TheresaV 

I do try and do my little bit.

I don`t put on lights unless necessary and turn them off when not needed.

I put cardboard, paper etc for the recycling wheelie bin.

I try to reduce the amount of waste food and don`t use plastic bottles.

If everyone did something, no matter how small, it would make such a difference.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 5 of 8

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

That's very true @Mi-Amigo, just a little something already goes a long way. I am always trying to turn the lights off (and sometimes sit in the absolute darkness working and get strange looks from my partner joy). I am so glad it's gonna be bright outside for longer soon, so I won't have to have them on at all! 

signature

Message 6 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Guess I won't be playing this then....

Coud be a candle light though @jonsie thinking

signature

Message 8 of 8