Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dragons Den: Repair Water Damaged Phone

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Did anybody see last weeks episode of Dragons Den?

I don't normally watch it but I thought I'd give it a try. 

It had a lot of random inventions, such as the pooper scooper and the pull off knickers, but what really interested me was the repair kit to fix water damaged phones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reviveaphone-DRAGONS-Damaged-Smartphone-Recovery/dp/B00HR25NA6

I wonder if it actually works? I am not brave enough to purposely drop my phone in water just to try it.

I have heard about putting a phone in rice to soak up the water but I tried that once with my sisters phone and it didn't work.  It would be a life saver to many people if this actually works as it would save having to fork out with insurance excess and buying a new phone, especially if it's an iPhone or other expensive phone.

Apparently, it is not the liquid itself that damages the phone, it is the minerals within the liquid which cling to the components inside the phone and this invention flushes out the minerals.  However, the chemicals in the solution are supposed to be quite dangerous so handle with care!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gemz4the1 wrote:

Did anybody see last weeks episode of Dragons Den?

I don't normally watch it but I thought I'd give it a try. 

It had a lot of random inventions, such as the pooper scooper and the pull off knickers, but what really interested me was the repair kit to fix water damaged phones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reviveaphone-DRAGONS-Damaged-Smartphone-Recovery/dp/B00HR25NA6

I wonder if it actually works? I am not brave enough to purposely drop my phone in water just to try it.

I have heard about putting a phone in rice to soak up the water but I tried that once with my sisters phone and it didn't work.  It would be a life saver to many people if this actually works as it would save having to fork out with insurance excess and buying a new phone, especially if it's an iPhone or other expensive phone.

Apparently, it is not the liquid itself that damages the phone, it is the minerals within the liquid which cling to the components inside the phone and this invention flushes out the minerals.  However, the chemicals in the solution are supposed to be quite dangerous so handle with care!

Ref the Bold part of your post.

Didn't Anne Summers invent those  wink

I'm not convinced with the kit.

As soon as liquid hits the internal workings of a phone i'm more inclined to think they can start to fail due to the damage it takes.

Message 2 of 18

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

It is true about the knickers.

A lady invented knickers that could be practically ripped off (similar to a nappy) to prevent having to take pants completely off. 

None of the Dragons invested, however she was given contacts for the military as it would be useful for them.

Message 3 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gemz4the1 wrote:

It is true about the knickers.

A lady invented knickers that could be practically ripped off (similar to a nappy) to prevent having to take pants completely off. 

None of the Dragons invested, however she was given contacts for the military as it would be useful for them.

Absolutely no further comment from me.

Rofl.

Message 4 of 18

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

the demonstration was made on a dummy

Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 18

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Does anybody want to drop their phone in a puddle or down the loo so we can test this invention?

Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gemz4the1 wrote:

Does anybody want to drop their phone in a puddle or down the loo so we can test this invention?

Only if its a Sony Xperia Z or Z1

wink

Message 7 of 18

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

A nokia brick phone will do lol

Message 8 of 18

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Don't think I'll be intentionally dropping my iPhone into water to try this out. I did see it on Dragons Den this week. One main problem is that you need to use this quickly after the contact with water to have the best chance of success. So you would probably need to have bought this in anticipation of a potential water damage.

I have AppleCare+ on my iPhone anyway so water damage doesn't concern me too much and certainly not enough to spend £15 on having this in stock in case I damage my phone

Message 9 of 18

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Hi @davethorp 

I liked this invention until the chemicals were mentioned.  As it was discussed in the show, it would be handy to take on holiday, however it would be impossible to get past airport security 😞

Message 10 of 18