cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Derek Underwood - cricket spin bowler dies.

RunrigForever
Level 19: Quirky
  • 2346 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sad to know of his passing

Saw him bowl the Auzzies out on the Saturday of a 5 day match (beginning on a Thursday) at Headingley, Yorkshire

He got lots of wickets for few runs

Was with my dear dad Roy and he clearly remembered the Auzzies' opening fast bowler Dennis Lilley fielding just in front of us and signing autographs

My memory does not extend to say whether England won the series, but Headingley test match is usually played earlier on in the 1st class international cricket British season

I am thinking of you @jonsie because I once remember you saying you took the wicket of Sir Garfield (Gary) Sobers. Maybe you or anyone else could add some information.

R.I.P. Derek

***DESORMAIS***
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6421 Posts
  • 114 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

Headingley was 1972 @RunrigForever :-

Derek Underwood, often unplayable spin bowler regarded as one of England's finest – obituary (archiv...

https://archive.ph/NEKHs

You have even got TV footage there ! 

I actually believe that I posted this BBC link two or three weeks' ago, so maybe it got devoured by the spam filter :- 

Derek Underwood: England and Kent great dies aged 78 - BBC Sport

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/68818400

Message 2 of 7

RunrigForever
  • 2346 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for replying @Oxonian 

Not long got home from a pleasant day out & about

Will read your blue links now

***DESORMAIS***
Message 3 of 7

RunrigForever
  • 2346 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

WOW ! ..... the late great Derek Underwood R.I.P. ..... was made President of the MCC (Marylebone Cricket Club)

Will have to talk cricket sometime @Oxonian 

Remember Yorkshire & England opening fast bowler 'Fiery Fred' Freddie Trueman

A statue of him at the Canal Basin where Springs Canal branches off the Leeds Liverpool Canal in Skipton, North Yorkshire.

Was in old village in deepest West Yorkshire coal mining country when as a young kid and grew to enjoy quality time with my dad on BBC Grandstand Saturday afternoon and through dad found a love of watching cricket. He told me things like how all rounder Basil o' Dolivera only had one big toe.

***DESORMAIS***
Message 4 of 7

Oxonian
  • 6421 Posts
  • 114 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@RunrigForever 

Are you sure that Basil D'Oliveira was missing a big toe ? I cannot see anything online or in his obituary to support this. 

His contemporary in the England team, Fred Titmus, lost four toes in a boating accident :-   

"Titmus was involved in an accident shortly before the Third when, whilst swimming, he caught his foot in the propeller of a boat that was being driven by the wife of one of the senior members of the English cricket team. He lost four toes, and for a time there was a doubt whether he would play again".

Fred Titmus - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Titmus

Message 5 of 7

RunrigForever
  • 2346 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @Oxonian for the information ... & ... for taking time & trouble to research about what I know my dear dad Roy, bless him told me about that wonderful all-rounder.

I, like other people on the O2 Community, say something akin to this is my opinion in the more serious threads & queries ... ... ... my quality time with my dad on the 3-seater settee in the lounge. dad would eventually fall asleep. Dad told me a lot about sport, he played either scrum or fly half in school rugby league and union.

#Dads&Daughters

#SportEnjoymentBeforeHi-Tech.

***DESORMAIS***
Message 6 of 7

Oxonian
  • 6421 Posts
  • 114 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

Take care @RunrigForever👍 

Message 7 of 7