Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depression

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

There has been so much published about this and it's something people who don't suffer or have never suffered from depression,  cannot really understand. Speaking as someone who has been on the edge many times, recently too, it's something people can hide with a smile outwardly whilst feeling inner turmoil and not wanting friends and family to worry.

Medication alone is not the answer and this from someone who was prescribed the wonder drug Prozac  in the late 80s. Over the years my doctors have treated me as a guinea pig. In the words of the Verve song, the drugs don't work, they just make you worse....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/12126146/Antidepressants-can-raise-the-risk-of-suicide-b...

Antidepressants can raise the risk of suicide, biggest ever review finds Antidepressant use doubles the risk of suicide in under 18s and the risks to adults may have been seriously underestimated, researchers found

Antidepressants were found to double the risk of suicide in under 18s

Antidepressants were found to double the risk of suicide in under 18s

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
It's tough, I was diagnosed with GAD and suffered from multiple panic attacks for months. Medication and self held and stress classes did help. I still suffer from the symptoms but can manage them. But agree, medication on its own doesn't do it.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 2 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

The medication is suppose to be helpful but its what is inside you will still be there no matter what. You dont want family to worry but the person will need to know that you are there & ready to talk when they feel they need to

Message 3 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

The problem with depression is that many people wont admit to it. They avoid diagnosis because of shame

Some people still think that depression is trivial and not a genuine health condition. They're wrong. Depression is a real illness with real symptoms, and it's not a sign of weakness or something you can "snap out of" by "pulling yourself together".

I have suffered with it some time ago and it is easy to hide. Put on a brave face and carry on...... thinking that if you bury yourself in work....it will go away. Sometimes this helps.... depending on the cause.

A very very complex disease that needs more research. What suits one person will NOT suit another.

Conversely it is interesting to note that many people with a simple depression are helped as soon as they receive medication.

I pity anyone who has chronic depression and need more than pills.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 18

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2200 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I think especially men don't want to ask for help - as they (think they) have "to be brave".

Another problem is, many doctors choose to give antidepressant pills instead of looking why people have that problems. There are lots of people (especially old ones) getting them, but the cause of the depression is a simply thyroid hypofunction.

It feels the same, but you can live without the side effects of antidepressants. I had the luck to have a brilliant general practitioner who checked the blood-levels first instead of going the easy way and just write a prescription.

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 5 of 18

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Curr946,

I'm sorry to hear this, but I'm glad you have found a way to manage it. Do you mind if I ask what has worked for you? I realise this could be a very personal question, so do  not feel obligated to answer. I'm simply interested in it as it is a foreign state of being to me.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 6 of 18

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

Well, @Toby it started several years back. Twitches here and there, worrying about things without even knowing I was worrying, disaster planning for no reason (ie thinking about worst case scenarios and trying to figure out what I would do). The terrible headaches and then it moved on to chest pain and full blow panic attacks. I am not really sure what triggered it all but the small signs had been there for many months' maybe even years before escalating. Anyway I didn’t know the underlying issue was stress and anxiety and continued to ignore that problem.

I still remember the pure embarrassment at the peak of these attacks, I had just finished delivering a team brief when it hit. My colleagues assumed I was unwell and suggested I head home, but on the way out I collapsed in the stair well. I got up and brushed myself off, I was sweating, chest was tight, body was weak, head was dizzy and was having heart palpitations. There was no way I could drive home but I kept thinking, if only I can make it to the car. A colleague spotted me and fetched the first aider who in turn asked for an ambulance.

When the medics arrived they established I was tachycardic and said I must go in. At the hospital all sorts of tests etc was done but after a while my heart rate and rhythm returned to normal(ish). I was kept in 3 days to due to the irregular rhythm. Anyway to cut this story down a little, they eventually confirmed there was no heath reasons for these episodes but were concerned with the strain that was being put on the old ticker. I was proscribed propranlol and referred back to my GP. After speaking with my doctor he said it was stress and anxiety gradually leading to more sever panic attacks. He sent me off to do a stress management course and also prescribed sertraline, and anti depressant.

After the stress course was complete, I was then given a councillor who helped build on the coping skills to manage this condition. I felt daft to begin with, but the skills have helped dramatically. I am still using them today, but unfortunately remain on the medication, doctors advise. I can now spot the signs; those weird twitches you wouldn’t normally think about, these are the start. I still get chest pain, I still get feelings of panic. I may not be able to stop them, but I have the skills to manage them.

I used to be ashamed, but I am not now. I'll talk openly to family and friends as I no longer see myself as weak. I think part of the problem was that I didn’t want to admit I was stressed, and worried about stuff that really didn’t matter, or that I couldn’t control anyway.

I know this thread was about depression, but these conditions are similar and would strongly advise anyone feeling low, stressed or just "out of sorts" for more than a few weeks to consider speaking to their GP.

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 7 of 18

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Thanks for sharing your story @Curr946. I hope this thread inspires any readers to think about this kind of stuff and be more aware of it in themselves, their families and their friends.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 8 of 18

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
I know this post is old do we have a thread were we can all help one another as I feel I'm in a bad place I'll go more into detail if need be thank you
Message 9 of 18

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35218 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Hi, @liggerz87!

Not seen one, but some of the others might know... I usually just dip into any of the Off-Topic threads now and then.

This one was hot for a while, but not probably what you are after:

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Access-For-All/Mobile-device-amp-mental-health-your-tips/m-p/1148538

Anything I can help with on PM, or spin up a topic of your own and see what comes back? 

Message 10 of 18