cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage

Anonymous
Not applicable

With the ever connected world we live in these days, I'm wondering how much people use.

As you may or may not know I gave up home broadband in November and I've just had my first full month data usage (I swapped direct debit dates after I joined so that messed it up)

When I took out my unlimited data contract, they said unlimited was just that I could stick it any device I wanted & hotspot as much as i wanted (not tried either yet)

Here's the result.

Screenshot_20190103-192419_Settings.jpg

So is 45gb a lot compared to you, compared to you gals with home broadband... or am I a data minnow? 

I'm wondering if fair usage is an outdated term.. or have you fallen foul?

I'll be reporting back monthly to see what I'm like over the remainder of the contract!

Would love your input!

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have WiFi but regularly use 2.5-3GB of my 4GB allowance 

Message 2 of 33

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
I hardly leave the house so always on broadband and have an Xbox one connected so can use a lot of data I'd have to check the Xbox stats to find that out and on phone I don't use much data I didn't think any UK network offered unlimited data
Message 3 of 33

liggerz87
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions

Screenshot_20190103-194509_My O2.jpg

Message 4 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Blimey @liggerz87 your usage is wild! 

And yes, Three offer an unlimited data SIM only for £27 (I saw it for 25 over Christmas, so deals are worth watching out for)

I only went for unlimited as I've never not had home broadband & wouldn't have a clue as to my usage!

Message 5 of 33

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Thats about what I did on my 4G broadband over the last 18 months. Just about did 50GB a month (thats my package with Vodafone) but my Netflix usage was far higher then again thats at SD quality with at least 3 hours a night, 6 days a week at the most. Coupled with work usage about 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, I still struggled to maximise the allowance surprisingly even with some other devices.

Some changes to the main landline which means its now on fibre hence moving Netflix to that so my 4G is signficantly reduced to work and Youtube which seems to be about 25GB a month now.

Message 6 of 33

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
Ye my high usage was when I was using my phone yo tether to Xbox and that's good 3 ket you actually have unlimited data and to use on anything im not sure how but my Xbox used just under 2tb of data last year lol
Message 7 of 33

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I have 50gb data on ny phone plus 20gb mobile broadband. 

I usually use 80-90% of my mobile broadband on my Kindle Fire each month. That's playing games, listening to music, streaming films/TV shows, downloading books.

I use about 35-40gb data on my phone. Again downloading and playing games, streaming films/TV shows, downloading music, sending emails and messages via Whatsapp, online shopping and browsing and, of course, time spent in the community.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 8 of 33

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I just use WiFi. My sim only is 3GB. At the end of the month I usually have 1.95 GB left.

My data allowance is only used if I am anywhere without WiFi (which is rare)

I'm one of those people who is prone to say 'Hello, how are you? What's your WiFi password?' wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

I just use WiFi. My sim only is 3GB. At the end of the month I usually have 1.95 GB left.

My data allowance is only used if I am anywhere without WiFi (which is rare)

I'm one of those people who is prone to say 'Hello, how are you? What's your WiFi password?' wink

I guess you can just about get Wi-Fi everywhere these days.. 

I'm not sure how free it is though.. don't they track all your movements? 

Message 10 of 33