Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Covid Vaccine developed (First Stage)

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

The first effective coronavirus vaccine can prevent more than 90% of people from getting Covid-19, a preliminary analysis shows.

The developers - Pfizer and BioNTech - described it as a "great day for science and humanity".

Their vaccine has been tested on 43,500 people in six countries and no safety concerns have been raised.

The companies plan to apply for emergency approval to use the vaccine by the end of the month.

A vaccine - alongside better treatments - is seen as the best way of getting out of the restrictions that have been imposed on all our lives.

There are around a dozen in the final stages of testing - known as a phase 3 trial - but this is the first to show any results.

The UK have ordered 30 million doses according to BBC News.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54873105 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Saw that news earlier.
On the back of the news the stock market has seen an overall increase.
The FTSE jumped 4% while the European index rose 5%!
Travel firms including BA have also seen large increases - think people are starting to count chickens though...
Link to BBC news story on the markets:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54874108

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

This is very good news, but I still intend to be in the 'You go first' group. Please don't misunderstand me. I think this is great, but it needs to be tempered with the fact that there is no data on long term effects, because there couldn't be at this point, and there's no certainty on how long the vaccine will be effective for. I have a feeling that this will probably become an annual event, like the flu vaccine is, and I have no problem with that at all.

Hooray for science!

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

BBC News has just reported the vaccine is ready to be rolled out next month in England.

It's expected that NHS staff, carers and the elderly will be the first in line for the vaccine.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/covid-vaccine-nhs-start-december-matt-hancock-b62446.html 

This is all dependent on the vaccine gaining approval from the MHRA.

They are looking at the army for the logistics of deployment.

The Pfizer vaccine needs to be held at -70C until the last few hours before it is deployed, which obviously makes things more complicated.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 7

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Slightly off topic, but read this earlier:
After Boris saw the requirement for the Covid vaccine storage he asked Priti if she could store it in the coldest place he knew: Priti's heart...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
Slightly off topic, but read this earlier:
After Boris saw the requirement for the Covid vaccine storage he asked Priti if she could store it in the coldest place he knew: Priti's heart...

rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 7

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2200 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

This is very good news, but I still intend to be in the 'You go first' group. Please don't misunderstand me. I think this is great, but it needs to be tempered with the fact that there is no data on long term effects, because there couldn't be at this point, and there's no certainty on how long the vaccine will be effective for. I have a feeling that this will probably become an annual event, like the flu vaccine is, and I have no problem with that at all.

Hooray for science!

@Bambino  summed it up very well for me - and I am one of those first in line of getting it...

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 7 of 7