Did you mean: 

Coventry wins City of Culture 2021

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122383 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Breaking news ....

Coventry has been chosen to be the UK's City of Culture for 2021. (My home city) Bouncy

The title is awarded every four years and it means the city will host a year-long celebration of arts and performance.

It will hope to emulate the success of Hull, which is UK City of Culture this year. The title is estimated to have boosted Hull's economy by £60m.

The other places in the running for the title were Swansea, Paisley, Stoke-on-Trent and Sunderland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42272675

Godiva Awakes in Coventry Cathedral ruins

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Cleoriff
  • 122383 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

A video clip shown...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42272675

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 39

MI5
  • 143454 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Just watched the announcement.
I've never laughed so much in my life !!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122383 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

As I said to the family...if we get it, there's a hell of a lot of work to do in 4 years....Smiley Very Happy.

However, it worked for Liverpool...which is a far better place now than it was before it won the award  so fingers crossed for Coventry....:smileytongue:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 39

MI5
  • 143454 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The transformation in Liverpool was outstanding so let's hope for more of the same for Cov slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 39

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I was happy to see the newsflash come up on my phone. Well done Coventry and good luck with the work that needs to be done. I think you will see a lot of improvements over the next few years. 

Message 6 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122383 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I was happy to see the newsflash come up on my phone. Well done Coventry and good luck with the work that needs to be done. I think you will see a lot of improvements over the next few years. 

Needs a lot Steve. After it was bombed, the buildings that were used to replace the city centre and surrounding areas were absolute 60's rubbish...It lost it's soul. Hence the Specials record of Ghost Town....

This can only be a positive thing for this once proud beautiful city

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 39

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
They'll be hard pushed to renovate anything that's not already been turned into student accommodation..
I dunno about hull, but Coventry city centre has been in decline ever since the uni was given access to all those student fees and constant rising quotas of students.
I know they have the right, but being a citizen of Coventry means very little to the council nowadays, who seem to enjoy whatever kickbacks they get for "no question" rubber stamping anything the uni puts in front of them...
Message 8 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122383 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
They'll be hard pushed to renovate anything that's not already been turned into student accommodation..
I dunno about hull, but Coventry city centre has been in decline ever since the uni was given access to all those student fees and constant rising quotas of students.
I know they have the right, but being a citizen of Coventry means very little to the council nowadays, who seem to enjoy whatever kickbacks they get for "no question" rubber stamping anything the uni puts in front of them...

Luckily Coventry (Warwick) University is in a beautiful location and in the best area of the City. So I doubt people will be going on a tour of student digs!

I totally agree about the Council kickbacks...which is the same with every council across the country.

The judges must have seen the potential else it wouldn't have been chosen.

(I just hope they don't take them anywhere near where I lived for 21 years)...LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 39

MI5
  • 143454 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You seen ALL that student accommodation just off the ring road ?!

Currently using:
Message 10 of 39