Christmas decorations!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

O2 Community 2019 Advent Calendar

Hey everyone, 

By this point in December I think most people have their Christmas decorations up by now but there is often a difference of opinion on when it's to put them up and take them down. thinking

Which dates do you think it's acceptable to put up the Christmas decorations and take them down again? 

I've shared a few snaps of the decorations we have up in the office so feel free to share what you have up at home! smiling

image_from_ios.jpg

image_from_ios-2.jpg

image_from_ios-4.jpg

image_from_ios-3.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 14.29.18.png

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Here's my xmas tree this year:

xmastree2019.jpg

I have other decorations up around the living room, mainly ornaments, and also have a MERRY CHRISTMAS tea light burner.

My coasters are Merry Christmas ones too and I have some xmas mats down on my coffee table you may be able to make out in the above picture.

Thanks

Steve
Message 2 of 12

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

welshsteve76
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks @jonsie smiling

Thanks

Steve
Message 4 of 12

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Martin-O2 

The whole subject of when Christmas decorations should go up and be taken down is riddled with different accounts.

Some is based around the "Twelve Days of Christmas" with its origins from the Romans belief in Saturnalia, which ran for 12 days and ended on 1st January - meaning the festive period was 20 Dec to 1 Jan..

Other accounts refer to the festive season running to "Old Christmas Day" of 5 January [with no mention of 12 days]. Further to this particular version, decorations not taken down on 5 Jan should be kept and used to light the fire on which to cook the food on Shrove Tuesday [hense the expression "Ash Wednesday" for the following day].

The decorations in your office look great, as does the tree @welshsteve76 has at home...    

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 5 of 12

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @Martin-O2 

I  only put up this tree it is about 2ft tall  had it for a long time, it has a lighting system that changes colours all the time but only gently 

Optic fibers.   I put it up just before Christmas and take it down a couple of days after as I can't wait for Spring 😀

20191223_155832.jpg

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 12

welshsteve76
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I would usually take my decorations down the weekend after new year, depending on when that lands.  I am moving in January though, so may weell take them down earlier this year if I need room for other boxes joy

Thanks

Steve
Message 7 of 12

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

the 6th January we've always taken decoerations down although I haven't put any up for years.

Message 8 of 12

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Lovely trees @welshsteve76@jonsie nailed it, very cozy looking. smiling

@Mi-Amigo nice bit of history to the whole debate there. I think any time in December is fine for them to go up and down no later then the end of the first week of January. 

Tree looks amazing @TallTrees! I'm a big fan of changing lights. They send my cats crazy though. cat

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 9 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

This was last year, I haven't got half as many up this year. I just love lights rofl

We also have a 2ft LED light tree on the porch shelf. One of those that changes colour. My husband sarcastically says we have enough lights to drain the national grid...Bah Humbug hugging

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 12