cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chatgpt - is it a reflection of our internet culture, or something more?

Patricia1066
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 84 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I see it as a “useful archival system” rather than exegesis. It’s unable to understand it’s value system or that of its sources, so can’t provide critical analysis of the text. 

It can appear to do so, by following language rules that tend to be used in argument. 

This essay in Guardian calls chatGPT stupid, but perhaps it’s stupid of us to think that it is “thinking” or developing opinions. It’s an interesting read, and it has a critical view on the value of allowing such machine learning to guide our lives. 

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/mar/16/the-stupidity-of-ai-artificial-intelligence-dall-...

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123382 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@Patricia1066 

I can't pretend I've ever heard of Chatgpt but a quick google did come up with this, claiming to be better and more advanced.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/openais-gpt-4-is-here-how-much-better-than-chatgpt-060048262.html?... 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

Patricia1066
  • 84 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Cleoriff  The current version is oversubscribed, but if you can get access you can try it out without charge. 

The article gives examples of how to use AI to discuss anything you can think about. Or to draw something to your specifications. I’m enjoying it, it’s very different from Google, until it delivers up the advertising! 

I have used chatGPS to plan a holiday and to sort out my iPhone settings. The latter was authoritative but wrong perhaps because the source was out of date. ChatGPT 4 should be updated to current sources. 

Message 3 of 7

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36550 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1623 Solutions

I had a bit of fun with the free version earlier:

Screenshot_20230316-224235.png

Screenshot_20230316-224240.png

😂

Message 4 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Patricia1066
  • 84 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@jonsie  @pgn the fun and games are a secret! 😉

Message 6 of 7

RunrigForever
  • 2346 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

WOT NOWT ABAHT WOT US GERRUP T' I' OFF TOPIC ??? !!! 

Yeah, I know I have to Giowwer Promoting The Tykes, The Infamous Tykes = Broad West Yorkshire Dialect

God's Own County / God's Green Acre

Yes, deffo ..... What has, ever so politely, been said above, by much more informed and knowledgeable people than me ..... same goes, of course for who I genuinely and fondly term as the forum's High Enders, some who have chosen not to comment, but who well know their own worth to the forum ..... the Backbone of the forum and without whom the forum wouldn't be what it is has become today.

Thinking of the music ... *Silence is Golden* ... by the Tremeloes?

NB (1) ..... I am aware I am being over verbose ... it happens when I have the chronic mental illness on me

NB (2) ..... I did reach Level 50 under a previous username ..... greatly helped by those tech savvy members of the O2 Community ... & ... by being encouraged not to be afraid of asking damn daft questions regarding Information Technology.

NB ..... standard Latin abbreviation in common use ... Nota Bene = Note Well or Please Note.

FYI ..... I chose deliberately to delete myself off the system for personal reasons.

FYI = For Your Information.

***DESORMAIS***
Message 7 of 7