Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blood Test for Inherited Heart Conditions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

A new blood test has been developed which could help diagnose people with all known inherited heart conditions, according to the British Heart Foundation. Researchers found that by looking at a specific group of genes they were able to reliably detect underlying problems.

More than 500,000 in the UK are affected by inherited heart disease. This new test examines 147 genes and can pinpoint abnormalities and allow treatment as appropriate

It has already been rolled out at the Royal Brompton Hospital in Middlesex with 40 patients a month screened.

This is a real medical breakthrough. I have a friend who lost her 13 year old son to an inherited heart condition. There was no test available at that time

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35607317

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23213 Posts
  • 1029 Topics
  • 3693 Solutions

How wonderful. This could save thousands of lives. Thanks for posting @Cleoriff.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 8

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Yes, thanks for posting @Cleoriff.
I'm constantly being amazed by the strides currently being taken by medical teams recently.
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 145023 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions
At the rate things are going, no one will ever die anymore......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

Sir David Frost lost his son Miles (aged 31) to one of these inherited genetic disorders (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy). His family is aiming to raise £1.5 million to aid with further research

We have all read about young people who collapse and die suddenly with no warning. Further investigations have invariably shown some undiagnosed genetic heart defect.

People can be treated in a variety of ways. Medication, Surgery or even lifestyle changes.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 8

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Yet another wonderful breakthrough in medical science. Early detection is vital for any condition, Brilliant news.

Message 6 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Yet another wonderful breakthrough in medical science. Early detection is vital for any condition, Brilliant news.

More so when you realise that previous blood testing could only look at a limited number of genes. This new test looks at all 147 genes responsible for inherited heart conditions...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent news as my grandmother had a heart problem so this may help

Message 8 of 8