Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Apps of 2015 so far - including a contact clean up app

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I had a problem a few months ago whereby I accidentally synced contacts from my apps, contacts which I didn't want in my phone book.  The results were 100+ contacts that I had to delete one by one.  I couldn't find another solution to it.  😞

I have been reading about new apps, the best of 2015 so far.  I have found an app (currently only on Android) whereby it gets rid of unwanted contacts in bulk. slight_smile  It is called Simpler Contacts.

Some of the apps look interesting, it's a shame they're not available on all platforms yet.

IOS

• Contact Pics+ - allows you to use another contact app and import pictures and colours - it looks very colourful, something which the current contact list fails.
  • Rock My Run - music for on the go - I personally think it is a bit pointless as the core music app allows you to do that
  • Tutanota - extra privacy for emails

Android

• BitLit - being able to read paper books and eBooks - I personally don't think it's anything new
  • Snoopsnitch - security for your phone - a little confusing
  • Simpler Contacts & Dialer - (mentioned above)

Windows Phone

• CarDash - a bit like Apple CarPlay but for Windows - Digital Spy's app of the week
  • Mi Challenge Alarm - morning brain teasers
  • Social News Beta - allows people to read about local news

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/feature/a620130/best-new-apps-for-tablets-and-smartphones-tutanota-...

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hopefully we'll all be at the stage where all apps are cross platform.

Apple would have to relax their sandboxing of iOS and the really tight hold they have on the App Store maybe.

Thank you for sharing this @gemz4the1

😄
Message 2 of 9

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Have you guys heard about any upcoming or planned apps that have caught your eye?
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 3 of 9

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I don't know if this counts @Toby but in 2015 i'm looking for to/hoping/expecting/praying Apple and Windows to become friends and allow me to use Apple CarPlay in my new Ford car.

Message 4 of 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

@gemz4the1 wrote:

I don't know if this counts @Toby but in 2015 i'm looking for to/hoping/expecting/praying Apple and Windows to become friends and allow me to use Apple CarPlay in my new Ford car.

Nope won't happen...We are talking  Apple!

Message 5 of 9

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I know @jonsie but one can only hope Handshake

Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I found this article with the best fitness and nutrition apps to help us meet our 2015 goals.

Has anyone tried them? 

Message 7 of 9

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Hello @Anonymous 

I use the MyFitnessPal app.

Here are my pros and cons:

Pros

• Details all nutritional info for the selected food.
  • Food not found in general search can be found by scanning barcode.
  • Very easy to use - it only took my an hour to figure it out.
  • You can share it with your friends so they can see your progress or if you are part of a group so you can compare meals, etc.
  • You can proportion your meals and select the % of nutrients you want in your foods, for example 60% protein, 10% fat and 20% carbs.

Cons

• Sometimes the step count doesn't calibrate correctly.
  • If you exercise then it overrides the step count.
  • Visual water glass is not available on the app (it is on the website).
  • The target weight was 6lbs out so if you wanted to be a certain goal weight then you had to take 6lbs of that weight and enter that in your goal.
  • Since the latest update, if you go over on something, for example carbs, then it will no longer show up in red so it doesn't stand out as much.
  • On the iPhone, although you can choose a passcode, you can't log in with touch ID, but you can on some other fitness apps.
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @gemz4the1 thanks for the review. I think I'm gonna try it slight_smile

Message 9 of 9