cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginning of the end of the non-embedded SIM?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Will there now be a push to stop supplying the physical SIM?

Although supposedly customers can switch at will I can't help thinking it will ultimately work against their interest.

It will also make a SIM swap in case of a technical issue a more involved process.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Well @Anonymous every phone I've purchased, including the one I'm using, came with a new sim. I did the sim swap, and my new sim was activated pretty much straight away. The old sim stopped working within 24 hours.

Are you saying the latest tech will mean phones with sim cards already embedded and ready to be activated? Or will the sims be activated before they're delivered to you? And will you have to speak to customer service instead of the easy sim swap you can presently do?

Sounds like several steps back rather than forward to me. But perhaps I'm misunderstanding you?!

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 2 of 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

If or more likely when the number is programmed into a phone, in theory it should be relatively easy for the networks to programme the phone with the new number without any break in service. Sounds like the future.

Message 3 of 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Well, it's how analogue mobiles used to work 30 years ago lol slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 

Yep, my folks had an old Ericsson EH238 analogue phone on Cellnet (which was what O2 used to be called for all you kids that don't know) in the mid 90s they used to carry around 'just for emergencies' and I pretty remember it being the case that if the phone was lost or broke it was very difficult to get the number moved.

Message 5 of 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I don't recall it being possible to move your number at all, but certainly not easily.
Every time I upgraded I had a new number which was a royal PITA !
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 

Don't think they ever upgraded and considering they paid £15 a month but it cost 50p a minute to make a call it really was a use as absolute last resort.

Think my Grandparents, my school and a couple of family friends had the number that was it.

GSM was of course around but the salesbod from Dixons told them it was cheapest deal when they got it.

Message 7 of 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yep, 50p per min for calls made or received, batteries that lasted 30 mins off charge and no SMS in the early days.......
We've come along way slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 8 of 12

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35210 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
I have no idea why the SIM is a requirement - is not the IMEI unique?

Map the IMEI to the number, you're done.

Credit and debit card numbers operate similarly, the number identifies bank, type of card and country, and soon that function will be done by smartphone also.
Message 9 of 12

jonsie
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I worked for O2 when it was BT Cellnet and you could always port numbers. I'm pretty sure you could port numbers too when it was merely Cellnet as I'm 99% certain because my wife worked there at the time when the call centre in Bury first opened. She actually got me a job there. Believe it or not there were only a dozen staff when they opened up!

Message 10 of 12