cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone interested in theatre & musicals?

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys!

I went to see the musical 'Matilda' in Cambridge Theatre in London a few days ago. I was positively surprised! It was quite funny and captivating. It had a lot of child actors and actresses and they were superb. slight_smile I haven't been to a musical or a play in years and this made me feel like I should try to go at least twice a year... The last one I saw was Dirty Dancing a couple of years ago (also very good!).

Do any of you go to musicals and/or theatre plays much? Which ones have been your favourites that you could recommend to go see? slight_smile

matilda.jpg

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Years ago since I last went to a good musical. It was Oliver by Lionel Bart. We watched the film a number of times in the late sixties but then we had the pleasure of seeing it on Broadway on a trip to New York back in 1984-5, still starring the late great Ron Moody. Brilliant show.

Alas, I was dragged to Manchester Opera house by my late wife around five years ago and sat kicking and screaming through Mama Mia!!

Message 2 of 12

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

It would be amazing to see a play on Broadway! It must have been a great experience @jonsie!

Message 3 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I enjoy musicals of a certain genre. 'We Will Rock You' is one of my favourites...I have also enjoyed The Buddy Holly story, The Jersey Boys and The Rocky Horror Picture show

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

This is going to date me, but I saw the original Rocky Horror Show with Tim Curry and Richard O'Brien at a theater in the Kings Road in Chelsea.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Yes that was the best version @Bambino. Not sure I am very keen on the new 2016 film remake though.

Laverne Cox is Frank N' Furter and Tim Curry plays the criminologist I think...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 12

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

This is going to date me, but I saw the original Rocky Horror Show with Tim Curry and Richard O'Brien at a theater in the Kings Road in Chelsea.

A piece of theatre history, you can think yourself very lucky.

That theatre only staged RH on its re-opening before closing again and being converted into a cinema.

http://www.theatrestrust.org.uk/resources/theatres/show/2516-kings-road-theatre

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 7 of 12

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

I am quite interested now in the Rocky Horror Picture Show. How cool that you've seen the original @Bambino! Did you see that one too @Cleoriff?

Too bad there's nothing (as far as I'm aware?) on it going on in the London area at the moment for me.

Message 8 of 12

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Marjo .....it tours UK regularly.

http://rockyhorror.co.uk/tour

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 9 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Not seen the original but have seen the show about 10 times throughout the UK.  You will be expected to dress up @Marjo so watch the film first.  You can then decide if you want to be frank n furter magenta or a transylvanianLOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 12