cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone interested in theatre & musicals?

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7880 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys!

I went to see the musical 'Matilda' in Cambridge Theatre in London a few days ago. I was positively surprised! It was quite funny and captivating. It had a lot of child actors and actresses and they were superb. slight_smile I haven't been to a musical or a play in years and this made me feel like I should try to go at least twice a year... The last one I saw was Dirty Dancing a couple of years ago (also very good!).

Do any of you go to musicals and/or theatre plays much? Which ones have been your favourites that you could recommend to go see? slight_smile

matilda.jpg

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 86787 Posts
  • 594 Topics
  • 5054 Solutions

Years ago since I last went to a good musical. It was Oliver by Lionel Bart. We watched the film a number of times in the late sixties but then we had the pleasure of seeing it on Broadway on a trip to New York back in 1984-5, still starring the late great Ron Moody. Brilliant show.

Alas, I was dragged to Manchester Opera house by my late wife around five years ago and sat kicking and screaming through Mama Mia!!

2020-Awards-jonsie5695219-2

O2 Social Media

SM Icons(Twitter |
Instagram | Facebook)

5695219-2
Message 2 of 12

Marjo
  • 7880 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

It would be amazing to see a play on Broadway! It must have been a great experience @jonsie!

Message 3 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 110700 Posts
  • 799 Topics
  • 6377 Solutions

I enjoy musicals of a certain genre. 'We Will Rock You' is one of my favourites...I have also enjoyed The Buddy Holly story, The Jersey Boys and The Rocky Horror Picture show

*The Game Is On*

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 12

Bambino
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 19567 Posts
  • 955 Topics
  • 2702 Solutions

This is going to date me, but I saw the original Rocky Horror Show with Tim Curry and Richard O'Brien at a theater in the Kings Road in Chelsea.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 110700 Posts
  • 799 Topics
  • 6377 Solutions

Yes that was the best version @Bambino. Not sure I am very keen on the new 2016 film remake though.

Laverne Cox is Frank N' Furter and Tim Curry plays the criminologist I think...

*The Game Is On*

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 12

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

This is going to date me, but I saw the original Rocky Horror Show with Tim Curry and Richard O'Brien at a theater in the Kings Road in Chelsea.

A piece of theatre history, you can think yourself very lucky.

That theatre only staged RH on its re-opening before closing again and being converted into a cinema.

http://www.theatrestrust.org.uk/resources/theatres/show/2516-kings-road-theatre

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 7 of 12

Marjo
  • 7880 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

I am quite interested now in the Rocky Horror Picture Show. How cool that you've seen the original @Bambino! Did you see that one too @Cleoriff?

Too bad there's nothing (as far as I'm aware?) on it going on in the London area at the moment for me.

Message 8 of 12

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Marjo .....it tours UK regularly.

http://rockyhorror.co.uk/tour

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 9 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 110700 Posts
  • 799 Topics
  • 6377 Solutions

Not seen the original but have seen the show about 10 times throughout the UK.  You will be expected to dress up @Marjo so watch the film first.  You can then decide if you want to be frank n furter magenta or a transylvanianLOL

*The Game Is On*

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 12