cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else keeping tabs on the US midterm elections?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll be interested to see if the Trump train keeps on rollin' or if the Democrats put up a buffer in front of him.

Anyone else?

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie

Indeed.

Message 3 of 24

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Been watching the build-up recently out of interest and I suspect that either they'll make a few gains but not enough or make no inroads at all. The latter is more likely. Either way, I can't say both sides are worthy leaders at this point in time. 

BTW, nothing changes regardless of outcome and it will be another two years of what we've already witnessed and we'll start to see names put forward for 2020 very quickly in the new year. 

Message 4 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122383 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I'm following it on the news, though not watching avidly as there will be no change to anything.

The news can't cover every state and we are just seeing snippets.

In fact BBC news made a big thing about nothing.

They had a reporter in Philadelphia who was interviewing a few people queuing up to cast their vote. We heard some who said they didnt like some of the things Trump did or said but they would vote the same way again as he was better than the other candidate.

The commentator concluded 'he could go to the other side of Philadelphia and he would find voters saying the exact opposite'.....

Really?? I would never have guessed that!! rolling_eyes,

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 24

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

As a former registered Democrat, you can guess which side I want to see win seats. But as said whatever happens in the midterms, Trump is still there for 2 more years causing havoc.

Trouble is I see no one stepping up to the plate among the Democrats that could either beat Trump if he runs for a second term, which he's threatening to do, or is someone the country could unite behind. Sad commentary on my country at present.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 6 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Democrats to take both.. then they could impeach his fat useless, gun toting, sexist ****.

meanwhile back in the real world.. Democrats 1 - Republicans 1 

Message 7 of 24

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Polling closes in several states on the east coast in less than two hours. Those who have said the results won't make a difference are wrong. They will. This could be the largest turnout of voters in a mid-term election in US history. There's a lot at stake, and a lot in the balance. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 24

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

From the t1tbits I've picked up, Democrat gains in winning one half of the two govering bodies could make it more difficult for Trumpton to pass his more crazed policies or laws. That's were my interest actually began and now finishes while we wake up to the results tomorrow.

Message 9 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122383 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

With 96% of the votes in, the Democrats have taken control of the House Of Representatives for the first time since 2010 and Republicans held the Senate.

There were no major shocks, but plenty of intrigue, and indications of what might happen over the next two years.

A few key facts: as seen by the BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46102723

** It was billed as the year of the woman ahead of the mid-terms - and it turned out to be true. There are now a record number of female members of Congress, and there have been some notable firsts.

** Democrats were always unlikely to claim the Senate, but did as well as expected in the House races - even if they didn't pull up any trees.

Now they have a way of holding President Trump and his administration to account. Buckle up.

** Trump said he was happy, and the Republicans' Senate results gives his party good reason to celebrate. But a Democratic-held House will now subject him to more scrutiny than ever before, and we could face gridlock as his policies fail to pass in the House.

** The suburban split: Republicans are losing the areas outside cities. It's a story that repeated itself across the country, and it could pose a problem to the party in future.

** Mixed fortune for Trumps governors: Some good news, some bad for Trump when it comes to the governors' races. It all has interesting implications for the 2020 election.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 24