• 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Where's my shotgun mwahahaha
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 44

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
What are your thoughts guys? Safe? Secure? Cutting-edge?
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 4 of 44

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Nah, CAA want £1400 for the test.

Seriously though, gonna answer this.

"Three big problems
The trials will look at cracking three big problems:
How can you operate drones safely beyond "line of sight"? The current rules say a pilot has to be able to see the aircraft at all times"

The rules say that but the reality is even most consumer drones have failsafe GPS and GLONASS positioning systems that operate using waypoints, If those systems fail, the drone returns home using previous positioning, if that fails it can be operated by a human.
And these are consumer units.

"How can you build a drone that won't bump into things? Much like autonomous cars it would need sensors to help it avoid objects"

Again, such drones as DJI Phantom 4 have side mounted crash avoidance sensors that work as part of its vision positioning system. And it works really well.
Won't be a problem though as Amazon will have strict air space to stick to. It will go up to xx height, move to target, then lower. Just like other commercial air traffic.

"How can you build a system where one pilot is responsible for many drones?"

Air traffic controllers been doing it for years, instead of telling pilots where to go, they simply enter a waypoint. Even if the entire system failed, the craft would simply stop moving and return via its own path home.
Message 5 of 44

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12041 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1121 Solutions

This is the line that worries me the most:

"All information is stealable and all drones hackable", he tells me. "Anybody could steal one to deliver drugs or bombs.

If that is the case then there is no gaurantee that your item would get to you, and that the drone delivery system could be abused.

IF, and it is a mighty big if, they could get this working (safely and securely) it would represent a massive step in the home delivery operation. Imagine if any and all on-line order were delivered in this fashion?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 44

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Drones dropping drugs is not a possible thing, it already happens...
Message 7 of 44

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

It is the future but they really need to think things out before this is an infallible way of delivering to your home. There are too many clever people out there to hack into the drones software. I'm sure the safety of drone flights can be sorted without problems but there are many factors to be considered before this becomes the normal way getting what you ordered delivered to your door. God forbid UK Mail get involved!

Message 8 of 44

Cleoriff
  • 122762 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Drones dropping drugs is not a possible thing, it already happens...

Wouldn't Amazon have strict guidelines as to what these drones deliver @viridis?

Surely if they are going to trial this they would want to be absolutely sure at trial end there was limited bad publicity?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 44

Cleoriff
  • 122762 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

It is the future but they really need to think things out before this is an infallible way of delivering to your home. There are too many clever people out there to hack into the drones software. I'm sure the safety of drone flights can be sorted without problems but there are many factors to be considered before this becomes the normal way getting what you ordered delivered to your door. God forbid UK Mail get involved!

Look...when you get home delivery companies leaving stuff in dustbins Yodel HDNL etc etc....there has to be something better and safer than that?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 44