Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th November Celebrations

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Tomorrow is 5th November AKA Bonfire night AKA Guy Fawkes night.

I am not sure if many countries outside the UK celebrate it.

I didn't learn too much about it in school - most of what I know is what I have read online.  I am a bit confused as to why to celebrate it?  It is basically celebrating someone who tried to blow up Parliament.  If someone done that in this day and age then we definately wouldn't be celebrating it.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Gemz

Here is a thread I included some info links in http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-topic/Fun-Bonfire-Night/m-p/807413#U807413

Some would agree with his actions to blow up parliament 😉

It is weird how it's celebrated.

😄
Message 2 of 17

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Whether people agree with his actions or not, it's still strange that it is celebrated.  I understand why we Easter and Christmas but I can't get my head around this celebration.

Message 3 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I  feel these celebrations start far too early. Where I live we have had fireworks going off since before Halloween.....and I know they will continue till this weekend probably.....

When I was younger...fireworks and bonfires took place on November 5th only. Regardless of what day of the week it was...

I am no killjoy...I love the celebrations......however, when you have pets, or are nursing elderly patients... the firework season has become a bit of a nightmare sadly...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 17

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I agree @Cleoriff - it's pointless having a set day to set the fireworks off if they are set off on different days.  It's like setting fireworks off for New Year 2 days before New Years Eve.

I think fireworks should not go on sale until 4th November.

Message 5 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@gemz4the1 wrote:

But what about Diwali...?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
I cannot remember if the British Forces celebrated it in Germany? Might be something to do with all that beer?
I know they used to do something called the Rhine in Flames, at various towns up and down a river, whose name escapes me!
But, them displays used to beat anything I have seen in UK!
Message 7 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@gemz4the1 wrote:

But what about Diwali...?

This is one of the other celebrations I meant. One I am not involved in...but falls into what I call the 'Firework season'...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 17

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I would guess that it would be celebrated anywhere that the British had subsequently settled and taken the tradition with them.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
As Fireworks are essentially explosives, they should only be sold to organised events and used on the days intended for use.
Seen too many accidents of them falling in/out of the wrong hands!
Message 10 of 17