Did you mean: 

‌‌❄️‌🥇‌‌🥈‌‌🥉❄️‌ 2022 Winter Olympics‌‌ ❄️‌🥉‌‌🥈‌‌🥇‌‌❄️‌

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Hey everyone!

Today the 2022 Winter Olympic games start is Beijing!!

vytautas-dranginis-hT9srFlXPGE-unsplash.jpg

Photo source: https://unsplash.com/photos/hT9srFlXPGE

Yes I know: haven't the previous Olympic games just ended? They did, but we have to remember that initially they were planned to happen in 2020 and had to be postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. But for sports fans such as myself, that's far from being a problem. Also, because of the Omicron variant, China chose to not sell tickets to the general public for  both the Olympics and Paralympics. Strict “closed loop” safety measures will also take place: daily testing for participants and requiring all athletes and staff to be fully vaccinated (or face a 21-day quarantine).

In this Winter edition, we'll be lucky to see no more no less than 109 events over 7 sports. Seven new events were added, them being:

• Bobsled: Women's monobob.
  • Freestyle skiing: Mixed team aerials. 
  • Freestyle skiing: Men's big air. 
  • Freestyle skiing: Women's big air. 
  • Short-track speedskating: Mixed team relay.
  • Ski jumping: Mixed team event. 
  • Snowboarding: Mixed team snowboard cross. 🏂

Those additions have made this edition of the Winter Olympics the one with the greatest number of events so far.

The tournament is currently scheduled to take place for February 4 up until February 20, when the closing ceremony takes place. After that, the Paralympics are scheduled for March 4 to 13.

One curious point about this year's edition is that it doesn't snow that much in Beijing, so two cities close to the capital will host the outdoor skiing events, them being Yanqing and Zhandjiakou. But even on those cities usually there isn't an amount of snow necessary to support ski practice, so there'll be artificially created snow as well.

Adding to that, Beijing will be the the inaugural dual Olympic city, being the first city in the world to host both the Summer and Winter Olympic Games, as it has hosted the Summer Games in 2008.

The mascots for this year's Olympics and Paralympics games are Bing Dwen Dwen (a panda who wears a suit made of ice) and Shuey Rhon Rhon, an anthropomorphic lantern, respectively. 

beijing-2022-mascot.jpeg

By the way you can watch  the opening ceremony live on BBC One, with coverage starting from 11:30am today wink

Are you excited for any particular sport? Does any of the new events get your attention? Do you prefer the "Summer" Olympics or the Winter version? Let us know in the comments below slight_smile

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Love a bit of the Olympics, so will look forward to seeing the highlights over the next two weeks. Cheers, Rafa 😁.

Community Manager for the O2 Community 🙂
Message 2 of 13

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@RafaC 

I love the Olympics but admit I prefer the Summer Games. So I shall drop in and out here to watch the events which interest me.

The curling has already started and my husband likes that (I Don't!) but will enjoy parts of it.

I think there was general shock when Beijing was picked as they don't have snow!

It's cost an obscene amount of money to generate the artificial snow.

I'll look forward to the opening ceremony as Beijing always puts on a magnificent show.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 13

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@lewys-gp let us know what you're going to watch! Any tips on events are welcomed slight_smile

@Cleoriff I do prefer the Summer edition too, and I'll do the same as you, will focus only on the events which interest me (I'm not a fan of curling either, so didn't even know that it has already started). I won't be able to watch the Opening Ceremony live, but I will catch up the highlights later in the day slight_smile

Message 4 of 13

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25137 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Not a huge fan of Winter Olympics, but do like watching bobsled [probably because I love the movie Cool Runnings] and also like curling - something which I wish I`d had a go at when I was younger but my poor balance on ice hit that idea on the head 😂

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 5 of 13

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo I do enjoy bobsled too and for the same reason as you! That movie introduced me to the sport and since then I watch a little bit of it every Winter Olympics edition  🛷

Message 6 of 13

RunrigForever
Level 19: Quirky
  • 2149 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I particularly like the figure skating, but enjoy the Winter Olympics probably more than the Summer ones. I will be watching on BBC iPlayer because I have naffed up my TV settings ... Just no good with tech stuff.

***DESORMAIS***
Message 7 of 13

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

The Winter Olympics are great indeed @RunrigForever,  glad you'll be able to watch it on BBC iPlayer!

@Mi-Amigo speaking of BBC, I think you'll like these news the've published on their website:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-60271068

Message 8 of 13

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

lewysgp_0-1644320420414.jpeg

"While the athletes are undoubtedly impressive, the real star of the Olympics thus far is the remarkable setting of the freestyle skiing big air event. The structure was constructed on the site of the now-closed Shougang Group steel mill, China's first state-owned plant that propelled it to world dominance in steel production" AP⬅️more photos via the link.

Community Manager for the O2 Community 🙂
Message 9 of 13

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25137 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well that`s it. The 2022 Winter Olympics are over.

Team GB got two medals - GOLD in Women`s curling and SILVER in Men`s curling.

Maybe I was the only member of the Community who love the curling [and no I didn`t stay up to the wee small hours to watch the final] but surely everyone must agree the teams put on a brilliant performance throughout aganst very strong competition.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 10 of 13