Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account hijack

CHRIS34
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I think someone is trying to hijack my account on O2. I've recently switched my sim over to Sky but tonight I've received 10 text messages from O2 UK stating the one time passcode I'd requested will be sent shortly. I've then received the text with the code in telling me to use this to gain access to my account. It is currently half past midnight and I've attempted to phone O2 only to hear a recorded message telling me they are closed. Pretty sure someone is trying to hijack my phone number but there is no way of contacting you guys at this time of day, other than this. I guess I'll probably call again when office hours start, but maybe there should be an emergency contact number for reporting active fraud.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@CHRIS34 See this guide. Lost/Stolen operates 24/7: Lost or Stolen O2 Device

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@CHRIS34 

Without the passcode, no one can access your account to make changes.

It would be wise to change your O2 password immediately though.

You need to contact O2.
All numbers are in this guide Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 
When you call, you will be asked for the reason you are calling.
Stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.
Press 2 for Everything Else
Press 5 for More Options
Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.
You can also try saying "Upgrade" or "Fraud" to be connected to an advisor.
8.00am is the best time to call if you can.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 7

CHRIS34
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you both for your replies but I haven't gotten anywhere with O2, they don't seem to care at all.

I told them someone is obviously trying to clone/access my account because of the texts I keep getting through saying i have requested a pass code, but they told me i don't need to worry because they can't access my account without the code so as long as don't tell anyone I'll be fine! Of course if they're successful in cloning my number then they'll get the texts aswell and then I'm screwed aren't I?!

I have had another text last night at 11pm about a passcode again, and this is after I spoke to O2. 

So basically if you leave O2 they stop caring about your security. They don't seem interested in investigating any further, and are happy for cyber criminals to remain untouched. Find it funny this only started happening a week after I left O2, leading me to believe it's probably an employee or ex employee of O2 who's doing this. But thanks to big companies like O2 these criminals have the world as their playground and are free to steal people's identities and money without any consequences.

I dont regret my decision at all to leave O2.

And for your information the contact methods to reach O2 are a shambles. I rang the number I got from their website, sat in a queue for 25 minutes, to then be told I'd got the wrong department but I would be transferred immediately to customer services, and then it rang a couple of times and a message came on which said " I'm sorry all our operators are busy please try later" then the phone went dead!! Absolute shambles!! I nearly threw my phone through the window!

At this point I just want the account and phone number totally deleting from their records so there is nothing to access. But I know if I wasted my day phoning them someone would tell me they can't do that.

I doubt I'll ever get this issue resolved, even after my number and account are stolen, so thanks for nothing O2.

Message 4 of 7

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

Just a thought @CHRIS34.

If you have switched your sim over to Sky, how is your o2 account still active?

Did you not keep your old (o2) number and instead took a new one with Sky?

If you don't want to keep your number, then ask o2 for a STAC code - this will close your o2 account.

Otherwise you should have used a PAC to keep your number, but using this would also close the o2 account.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 7

CHRIS34
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the reply gmarkj.  I did keep my old number when I switched to Sky using a PAC code and that all seemed to go through smoothly yet I am still getting texts through from O2 UK saying I have requested a secure code. I don't know why my account is still active.

I must've received over 20 text messages some of them really late at night! The text reads "*SECURITY WARNING* The one-time code you requested will arrive shortly. DO NOT give this code to anyone. If someone's calling you and asking for a code, they DO NOT work for O2. Call us on 202 if you suspect fraud so we can protect your account." This is followed by another text with the code on.

Obviously I can't ring 202 and report it to fraud because I am now on Sky and the number isn't recognised.  And having wasted 30 minutes last time ringing 03448090202 for them to just hang up on me I'm reluctant to try again. They told me that I don't need to worry about it but why am I still getting these texts 3 weeks later!? Somebody is obviously still trying their luck and what if they eventually succeed?! So how am I supposed to not worry about this?

I honestly don't know what to do now. Why there isn't a direct line to report fraud is beyond me, it's an absolute farce how big companies like this are allowed to make it so difficult to contact them.

Message 6 of 7

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

That is strange @CHRIS34!

There is an option for fraud on the automated line - have you tried that?

Customer services do have an 0800 number in the guide provided before, and we find that 8am is the best time to get through (if possible).

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 7 of 7