Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apparent phone scam

de25
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hubby and I were transferred to O2 from Virgin not long ago. Today he has a call from O2, an Asian gentleman who he could not understand, hubby asked me to speak to him. I spoke to him but said  I too couldn’t understand him, he passed me onto a female who was better until she too started talking faster. From what I could understand she said hubbies contract wa seeing reduced for 12 months to £8 from the £14 he pays, she talked about our transfer from Virgin. I told her he was happy with what he had and wanted to remain on that contract but she said it’s cheaper for a year but would go back to the £14 in a year. Then she read out a lot of his details and just asked me to confirm , again I had to say slow down as she was talking so fast. 
The upshot is that apparently @according to following emails we were scammed into him getting a new iPhone 14 plus at £30.99 (assume a month). I immediately phoned customer services who said it had been a fraudulent call, she cancelled to order which was showing on their system and told us to not accept delivery and change his O2 password. I then phoned my bank to advise what had happened. 
I am so annoyed with myself at getting caught out like this, I am normally very good but I think it was a combination of her speaking fast and making it appear it was a Virgin/O2 change thing that did it. If anyone has any further advice please feel free, I don’t want anyone else to be conned like us.

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144717 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions

@de25 

If you think you’ve been the victim of fraud – whether it’s because you’ve given details to someone over the phone, or clicked on a link in a suspicious text or email there are things you can do:
Contact your bank if you think you may have given out financial information. They can help protect your account and stop transactions.
Change your account and online account passwords. Not just your O2 account. All of them.
Forward fraudulent texts to O2 for free on 7726.
Contact Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.
Call your Virgin Media or O2 customer services number if you think somebody’s taken out a contract using your details.
Virgin Media customers can phone 150 from their landline or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone.
O2 customers can call 202 from their O2 phone or 0344 809 0202 from any other phone.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144717 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions

@de25 

If you think you’ve been the victim of fraud – whether it’s because you’ve given details to someone over the phone, or clicked on a link in a suspicious text or email there are things you can do:
Contact your bank if you think you may have given out financial information. They can help protect your account and stop transactions.
Change your account and online account passwords. Not just your O2 account. All of them.
Forward fraudulent texts to O2 for free on 7726.
Contact Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.
Call your Virgin Media or O2 customer services number if you think somebody’s taken out a contract using your details.
Virgin Media customers can phone 150 from their landline or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone.
O2 customers can call 202 from their O2 phone or 0344 809 0202 from any other phone.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

Kev71
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Same happened but didn't click the email still keeps ringing number said from Ashford this morning London this afternoon 

Message 3 of 4

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23166 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions
Message 4 of 4