Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guide: Connecting your Samsung Smartwatch

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

It's time this was written up as a guide, so here goes.

If you buy your watch from O2, it should be setup for you at the time of purchase.

If you buy elsewhere, you'll need to go in store to get setup.

Samsung watch setup.

1. Contact O2 and get them to set up Data and WIFI calling on your Samsung mobile, it's free but needs to be set up to use the watch. You can then turn the switch on in setting under connections.

2. If you need an esim the only place to get it now is at an O2 store, it's free at the store.

3. If you already have an esim you won't be able to set up your watch just by going through the process on the Gear app, it'll set up the plan in principle on the phone and watch, but it won't connect to the network so don't waste your time. Delete the plan and go to an O2 store.

4. The only way you'll get the watch connected is by going to the O2 store, sitting with the sales person and have them set up the esim and the plan, it's £5 per month for 1gb which is more than enough data.

5. Most store sales people haven't a clue about setting up the Samsung watch 4g, so have them give you the esim, scan the QR code let your phone set up the plan and then have them go into their system as if your purchasing the watch directly from O2, at the bottom of their screen (this is at an O2 store) there is a box that says set up watch plan, when they press that, it'll allow them to set up a watch data plan, as if you've purchased the watch from O2.

6. At that point and after the salesperson puts in all the info from the esim they gave you into their system, it'll take about 10 min for the watch to connect, you'll then need to go into the connection settings on your watch, turn on auto for data, turn on data roaming and then go to the network search setting on the watch and let it the watch search for the network, it'll then register it and you're almost there.

7. Next go to your mobile and in settings, advanced, turn on the switch to use your mobile data on other devices, make sure when you turn it on, it shows your Samsung watch at the bottom, tap and another screen comes up showing the watch is connected to your phone.

8. Then reboot your watch and your mobile and you're done. Test it by leaving your phone in your home and take a walk, the watch should connect and show the 4g symbol and the mobile calling bars, if you try and make a call and it doesn't work or says connect to Bluetooth, go back to step 7, and reboot the phone to make sure it's found the device, i.e. your watch. It will also say at the bottom of the watch, standalone, means your using the watch on it's own.

9. You're done. Just remember you can only get your Samsung Watch 4g connected by getting it done in the O2 store.

Additional info from @robmak73 relating to an app update:

After a month of calling o2 customer services every day I have eventually got my watch to work properly. 

No thanks to o2 may I add. 

The problem is with the update installed with text and call on other devices. 

Anyone who has had the same problem as me getting the watch and phone to connect using the o2 network data connection should try this. It worked for me. Uninstall this update. When the update for text and call for other devices has been removed. The option for WiFi calling preferred then changes to mobile network calling preferred. Select this option.

Make sure that auto update is not selected for galaxy store apps.

Then got to watch advanced settings on the phone and select remote connection. This is important. Press screen on the text not on the slider. This should take you to a screen and the bottom section has a slider for using remote connection when Bluetooth is turned off. Select this.

Reboot phone and watch and viola I now have a remote connection to make calls with out my phone next to watch.

32 Comments
Cleoriff
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks for this @MI5 and @robmak73. (also @pgn for the suggestion of a guide)

Hopefully @Martin-O2 will put it in the Community Index Guide HERE 

and it be given a hashtag for speed. #Samsmart would do.

robmak73
Level 1: Joiner
  • 15 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I appreciate your help mate. But I'm afraid that this didn't work for me. The store had less knowledge of the watch than the telephone assistants. The guide you wrote I showed them to which confused them even more. I pretty sure that it is not necessary to go into the store at all. The problem lies with Samsung update on the system app 'text or call on other devices '. Soon as I uninstall the updates I had options that previously was not available. 

I have just tested the watch by leaving phone at home whilst making a call with watch and it now works perfectly. 

I not saying that you are wrong but in some cases like mine going to the shop solved nothing apart from affirmation of the lack of knowledge o2 staff have.

The o2 system actually worked fine. It was a dud update from Samsung that stopped the watch from working.

I also think that if I had a non Samsung phone I would never have encountered any of these problems. Which really looks bad in Samsung 

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks for putting this guide together @MI5! Great stuff! 

@Cleoriff I'll get this added to the index and get a # setup later today. 😉

Cleoriff
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks @Martin-O2 😉

GeordieD
  • 6 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Been into my O2 store and the "Guru" told me he could not help me and to do it online!!

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@GeordieD 

Guru is wrong!

Francosaurus
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

You mention about uninstalling an update to the galaxy apps? How do I do this? Is this in reference to the Android version on Galaxy phone? 

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11993 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

Yes, the upgrade is on the phone you are setting the watch up with @Francosaurus 

Francosaurus
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@gmarkj do you know how I remove the upgrade?

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11993 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

Not 100% on this @Francosaurus, but mine (Oppo) is:

Settings -> App Management -> App List

Then scroll to app, then 2 buttons in top right and uninstall updates.

You may need to choose show system (top right from app list) to see the smartwatch app...

Francosaurus
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@gmarkj unfortunately it doesn't appear on Samsung which is frustrating.

Oddly my watch now works with SMS but still cannot make calls. If someone rings me on the eSim phone number then watch rings but like I said I'm unable to make calls. To seems something is wrong with the plan settings.

Francosaurus
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sent back my galaxy watch 4 and cancelled my O2 contract. After several visits to different O2 stores and countless helpline calls I gave up.

Useless service in the end and quite frankly it's baffling why Samsung and/or O2 have made something that should be simple so confusing and unreliable.

Arnie440
  • 18 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just brining this thread back. I bought a Watch 4 Classic 4G direct from Samsung. Popped into a store, chap said I have to call 202 and ask them, can't help me instore. 

Called 202. They have no idea and were looking at regular Sim only plans and didn't know anything about getting the watch set up with an airtime plan. 

It's been out for over a year, O2 sell it themselves, why do they have no idea?? Its not good enough O2 come on. 

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

No one here is surprised to hear that @Arnie440 

GlennSmith0777
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thankyou  

Richierich123
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for taking the time to write this guide. 

Much of it seems to relate to watches that need a physical sim, is that right, as for example you talk about using the code that was on the sim that the shop gave?

I'm considering buying the new galaxy watch 5, which I understand has a built in sim.  Do you expect this method to work in order to get it connected to my o2 account to be able to use without my phone?   Or is the process not going to work as theyll not have all the information you refer to from the sim they provide (since they wont be providing one?).

I only ask because I've found a much cheaper way of pre-ordering it (rather than getting it from o2), but not sure if it's too risky to do that if I'm going to face big problems getting it connected to my account?

Thanks,

Rich

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Richierich123 

This guide relates to watches with inbuilt eSims.

Richierich123
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 @Thanks for the quick reply!  So when the guide talks about the shop worker giving me an e-sim, does that mean they just give me some sort of pack that will still contain the code I need to scan, and that links the built in sim to the account they set up?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this and thanks again for your help.

Richie 

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Richierich123 

Yes, correct.

You need a eSim pack with activation codes to make things work together.

Jeremiah2105
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you MI 5 for the clarity. i'll have a go again to the store to activate it. I got the esim pack and added the plan through galaxy wear app but it says sim not provisioned for voice. I guess as you said, they have to open a line for my watch and link it to my phone's esim.  i am surprised in india's mobile network called jio, i am able to use my esim for free in watches, but here they are charging money seperately to use it in my watch... There's no seperate esim pack for watch and phone as well in india . 

Trevos
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 422 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many Thanks for posting this guide.

I have a Galaxy watch 4 that i purchased direct from Samsung, that i want to make / receive calls on. It's paired for everything else to my Flip3 fine.
I went on to live chat yesterday, and it took over an hour. back n forth between sales and support, for finally someone to tell me to go to a store!
My nearest store is some 20 miles away so I have printed this, and the transcript from yesterdays chat, so hopefully there will be no wasted journey when i visit in a couple of weeks time. 

It's not so good when O2 have been closing stores around here and being disabled i'm limited to when i can get out to do these things. 
It will be so useful to have the calls on my watch, the amount of times I've left my phone somewhere and unable to get to it in time to answer. 

Thanks again

jeremiahkicha
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Good luck, they'll simply say as it doesn't work that way...

Trevos
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 422 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I simply don't know of an alternative if they can't do it. 
Is it this difficult with other operators anyone know? I would hate to have to jump ship so early in my relationship with o2 simply because staff aren't trained in the setup of smart watches.
There's going to be a greater influx highlighting the problem when people start claiming their pixel watches with the pixel 7 pro

nivenj
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

2 Weeks and back and forth between sales, Customer Service, Support....only 1 of them even knew about the Watch plan, but admitted he had no idea how to order it. Ive given up, lifes too short to worry about it for me.

Ahextall
  • 17 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi you say remove the update?  How does one do this?  Is the update on the watch or phone?  Cheers 

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

On the phone @Ahextall 

Ahextall
  • 17 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there so we fast forward after being to a second O2 shop and doing a second SIM swap and now I'm in a situation where the what shows O2 on its settings it shows 4G it shows the bars and I can send SMS texts but again when I try to make a phone call it shows emergency calls only?? 

Any suggestions -- I've done everything that you've suggested in your various steps but as I say you just will not make phone calls at all thanks 

Ryder007
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have tried all of the above and no joy. I'm thinking about returning the watch (bought through o2) as I have a watch 3 that works on Bluetooth. I only upgraded to we watch 5 pro for remote calling.

Perez
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

You must also turn remote connection on..  You do this by going to the wearables app on your mobile..

Goto 'Watch Settings" - "Advanced Features"

Scroll down too "Remote Connection" (It will probably already be on)

Press on where it says "Remote Connection" rather than the toggle switch.

Turn the "Calling" toggle to on (It'll take a couple of seconds to switch on)

Hope this helps 🙂

Kat385
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi just got the Samsung galaxy classic 6 lte. And trying to add it to my already expensive plan. I've read it's free to get an esim to do this through threads but O2 assistant online says it's charged at £5 per month, which is a rip off when I already have a plan with O2 that I literally just want it connected too! Is this correct? Or if not how do I ask for this correctly, I have Google pixel phone 

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Kat385 

The esim is free but the airtime plan is £5 per month which is the cheapest of all networks.

Tedrick123
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi I followed the above steps and the mobile data does work without having my phone with me (watch 6 classic) however I cannot make or take any calls.

When I go on advanced settings it says carrier not supported. Any ideas ?

Thanks 

Screenshot_20231231_144038_Galaxy Watch6 Manager.jpg